Coolant Questions

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend while towing I noticed my coolant temperatures could reach 220 degrees before the clutch fan cut in. I was not impressed to see 220 and far less impressed to see the fan not cut in until 220.

What temperatures are you seeing under load? Can I run a lower thermostat? Can I adjust the cut in point on the fan? What is a normal temperature?

There is 45,000 miles on the truck. Could the radiator be clogged inside or out?

The lowest temperature of the coolant was 195 after going down a long hill.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This is normal. You don't want to run a cooler t-stat. Diesel engines run HOT, compared to gas rigs. If you run a cooler thermostat, you will get incomplete combustion and bad mileage, among other things. 195 degrees is the opening temp of your stat. You are good as is, don't change anything (can't change the fan kick-in) or you will be asking for trouble.

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
x2 on what dave said.

The 7.3's actually like to run warmer than what the t-stat is set to open at on them. Many people, including myself, have replaced out 195* tstats with one that is set to open at 203* im not sure if this is the same for the 6.0 or not?

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I accept the fact that diesels want to run hotter than a gasser. I guess my question comes down to how fast should the temperature climb when pulling a hill. My truck went from 198 to 220 in less than 1 1/2 miles while pulling a hill with the AC off.

Is this an indication of a dirty radiator or just limited capacity of the system.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3.. It don't hurt a thing, to get Any engine a little warmer than normal now & then.. loosens up the carbon and stuff.. and cleans things up & out.

I'm in the 203* crowd, I Know.. my 7.3 NEEDS a good hard run.. loaded/towing.. the 'ol boy runs, sounds and feels better afterwards.

As long as yer Fan Clutch kicks in when temps come up some .. Yer Good To Go.

Joe

On Edit ? @ 45K you might be coming up on a Coolant Flush & Change ?? And climbing to 220 in a mile or so.. isn't uncommon.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
HowieE,

Fill out your signature so we all will know what you drive. This will help us to help you. Go to the USER CP on the second Blue Line above and click on SIGNATURE. Thanks

Dave

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HowieE,
Fill out your signature so we all will know what you drive. This will help us to help you. Go to the USER CP on the second Blue Line above and click on SIGNATURE. Thanks
Dave

I looked and my profile is filled out. I drive an 04 Excursion 4x4, Edge Evolution, 4 in turbo back CF exhaust.

I have attempted to edit and upload a signature several times but it does not appear. I have been doing this through "Edit Signature". I do not see any Signature listed under the User CP as mentioned.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14