Death shake in OD and 3rd gear, Possible fuel issue

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been having problems with my excursion since this winter but it has gotten severly worse. I drive my truck only on the weekends. I have a company truck I drive during the week. Back in the winter I was towing my friends 69 fast back out to PA to get restored and I was getting a terrible death shake in OD and the harder I pushed on the gas the worse it got. I assumed it was the trans shuddering and it was going. Well I have an appointment with BTS scheduled for this thursday and as of yesterday I don't think the trans is my issue.

I was driving down the free way here in NJ and noticed the truck start to shake and the hard I pressed on the throttle the worse it got and the slower the truck went. I got to a point where I could barely do 40 MPH in 2nd gear in the shoulder. So I got off the first exit stopped for a second wrapped the gas a few times in neutral, the truck was running really rough. A few puffs of whiteish blue smoke popped out and then it started to clear up.

I stopped at a friends house and was still having a problem. I have a fuel pressure gauge on my discharge line on my fuel bowl. I decided to check it after running it hard and getting it to produce the same issues. When I jumped out of the truck and popped the hood the pressure gauge was only reading 10 PSI. I'm guessing either the pump is shot or there is air in the line. After I left his house I picked up a new lift pump, the one that goes on the frame rail. I drove the truck home and the truck ran fine for about 15 minutes then started to run rough again.

After getting home I replaced the pump and went out to test drive it last night. I was beating on it pretty well for about 10 minutes driving around trying to produce the same issue. Then at about 15 minutes it started acting up on me again.

After doing my research I am guessing that there is something wrong with my fuel system. No mind you I have been having this problem with and without a full fuel tank. Yesterday the tank was at about 1/4 full. I've read that the steel tanks have a lining or coating that comes off and clogs the pick up. A year ago when I dropped the tank to check the sending unit everything looked clean inside.

I am thinking that there is a problem before the lift pump because, I don't think air would be getting in after the pump because that's the pressure side and there is no fuel leaking after the pump. Besides I don't have the problem until the truck warms up it seems, so no air could be getting in the system while it's off after the pump.

I know there are some things you can buy to eliminate air in the system. I can't find them all but I see alot of people talking about them. Some in tank modification, HPX Mod?, seen the FRx mod, fpr mod, and then fuel/air seperation systems. I don't know if I missed anything else but if I did let me know.

If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction, maybe some testing I could do to solve the problem, it would be appreciated. I already spen $160 on a new pump. I don't want to just keep dumping money in the truck trying to guess the problem. I would still like to do the BTS trans, but if I have to dump a grand into the truck to fix it, it might be out of the question.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I had the same problem a few years ago. I had a fuel filter on the rail and fuel mod in the fuel tank done. When the fuel tank was put back in place the fuel line was pinched just enough that it would give me the same symptoms you describe. I would be towing on a long hill and that is what would cause the truck to start to shake and the harder I pressed on the throttle the worse it got and the slower the truck got. The truck under heavy load would use more fuel than the pinched fuel line could give me. After stopping on the side of the road the fuel had a chance to catch up and it would run fine again until i was under a sustained heavy load. Check to see if you have a pinch somewhere in the fuel line. This drove me crazy for weeks!!! Hope this helps

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what's going on. :clap: Thank you! The tank is about 1/4 full I'll drop it and take a look.

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am in the middle of doing the hutch mod. My tank is dropped and opened, however my pickup doesnt look like the one in the picture on Guzzle's site. Everyone on here with an X is saying that there is no difference between a 250, 350, or an X tank. Mine doesnt match up and feels like it is attached to the bottom of the tank because I cant pull it out. There are corrugated plastic hoses connecting the top of the sending unit to the possible mixing bowl on the bottom of the tank.

I'll post pictures shortly and could use some advice ASAP.

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58