Dodge cat on ford will it work?

cj036.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a major problem turbo went up on 03 6.0. I have a 4" turbo back with no cat. I do not have the original cat that came with the truck. Dealer gave the truck back to put things as close to stock as possible. I baught it used with the 4" turboback on it, but the cat was on it then. Like a dummy I piched it. The dealer said all I need is a cat on it incase of ford rep. So the ? is will this work since it allready had a system on it when I bought it. The dealer said they would vouch for it already having a system on it. Will this work being it already had a system on it and it would have needed a modified cat anyway to fit the 4" turbo back. The Dodge is a 4" cat. Need Input ASAP.:hail :hail :hail

:thanks :thanks

cj036.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Continued: Dodge cat on Ford

By the way it is a dodge diesel cat that I am thinking about trying.

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
So you don't have a cat. In your last post you said you did. It's cool the dealer will replace your turbo if you have a cat. If the pipe is the same size put the Dodge converter on there. I think it will be mostly for looks anyway. Get some pipe and modify it to fit if it doesn't work exactly right. This is one of those times when you should just try it out. Take things apart and try to put the cat in. It should work, albeit a custom job.:sweet

cj036.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brandon for the support. Yeah I know I said I had the cat for the truck but I never said what kind of cat.Ha! Ha! I had been debating trying this but you know you are right why wouldn't it work its a diesel cat with the same size pipe that I need. Cool Idea though isn't it.

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
ford isn't gonna give you anything that has to do with warranty if you put something dodge on there...

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
cj036.0 said:
I have a major problem turbo went up on 03 6.0. I have a 4" turbo back with no cat. I do not have the original cat that came with the truck. Dealer gave the truck back to put things as close to stock as possible. I baught it used with the 4" turboback on it, but the cat was on it then. Like a dummy I piched it. The dealer said all I need is a cat on it incase of ford rep. So the ? is will this work since it allready had a system on it when I bought it. The dealer said they would vouch for it already having a system on it. Will this work being it already had a system on it and it would have needed a modified cat anyway to fit the 4" turbo back. The Dodge is a 4" cat. Need Input ASAP.:hail :hail :hail

:thanks :thanks
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Technically, it won't meet emissions requirements (since only OEM equipment will do, according to the EPA), but it will still function and shouldn't result in troubles for the truck.

That said, you should leave it on when you're done with the dealership. It will help you be more enviro-friendly and shouldn't effect your truck or it's performance in any measurable way. In fact, I saw a dyno test over on TDS that showed improved torque (and HP, IIRC) with the CAT in place (I think it had something to do with the VGT being calibrated to operate witht he CAT downstream, but I don't know much about VGT technology so...). Again, the difference was pretty small, but it certainly won't hurt anything.

There are also the legal ramifications of disabling it. It is something like a $10,000 fine if you get caught (which includes when you trade it in for your next truck) without one. Lots of guys assume that since many diesels were released without one from the factory (mine included) that it is optional on all of them. THe law reads that if your truck came with one from the factory, it had better have one, or else you are getting in trouble. So, this should save you the hassle of worrying about getting caught at emissions checks/inspections or having to worry about it when you trade it in. It is a win/win...

Last edited:

cj036.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ford shouldn't mind b/c I bought the truck used and I said that the exhaust system thats on it know was already on the truck. I took it to a different dealer and not the one I bought it from. The service manager said no problem it happens all the time, and the system was already in place when you bought it. Its in there shop know for the turbo replacment anybody know the usaull turn around time on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14