down pipe and exhaust

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am really not this dense just having trouble understanding terminolgy.
I have a 01 F350 dually that I am using to tow 18 k FW. Right now I am totally satock except for Superchips 1700. I am really new to SD world, came from Motorhomes, had 2 cummins diesels.

Was told should add 4 in down pipe, and better exhaust, also "Big Oil". When I look for down pipes draw a blank. HELP!!

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the downpipe is the first pipe off the turbocharger..
on late 7.3's, it comes off the turbo as 4", then necks down almost immediately to 3.5" to fit the standard exhaust..
most after market exhausts that run all the way to the turbo will be 4" all the way..
anything more is a waste unless you are drag racing or pulling...

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks JLDickman. That gave me part of the info I needed now what about "Big Oil"

and I thought the government had acronyms

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
"big oil" is simply an upgraded High Pressure Oil Pump (the one on the top of the engine that feeds the injectors).

right next to the fuel filter housing.

If you're towing that much weight with a programmer, you need gauges first..
Trans and exhaust temp at minimum.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on an Exhaust temp and Boost gauge. An absolute "Must Have", if you tow. You stand a Very good chance of damageing the engine if you don't have at least those two. A Trans temp too, if it's an Automatic.

Joe

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
egt, boost, trans temp a must have as many are told, some say also oil pressure and fuel pressure Take care of your baby cuz shell return the favor :)

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks gauges are on the way, already have the Trans Temp. Will probably scrap the Superchips,(thinking about DP tuner) do something about exhaust, and talk to John Wood about a trans. Anything else? We won't be towing until about May so want to get the 'old dog' ready to fly, before that,

wpecjak

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry forgot that I have a SB Intake and filter on the way too. Mono-tube shocks?, was kinda thinking about air, so maybe soften ride when not towint

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14