*Draining the Tranny Fluid ?*

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a plug on the torque converter so I can drain it ? I want to replace the fluid that is in it with Amsoil and I was told by one of the local garages that if I remove the cover by the tranny there could possibly be a drain plug right on the tourque converter. If not.....any suggestions??
:thanks

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
smokin joe said:
Does anyone know if there is a plug on the torque converter so I can drain it ? I want to replace the fluid that is in it with Amsoil and I was told by one of the local garages that if I remove the cover by the tranny there could possibly be a drain plug right on the tourque converter. If not.....any suggestions??
:thanks

When I changed from reg ATF to Redline synthetic ATF in my tranny I had the whole system flushed.

You're not referring to the plug on your transfer case are ya?

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My stock E4OD TC had a drain plug in it, I had to remove the inspection cover and bar the engine over until it came around. I think its a 1/4" plug. If you dont have one you are going to have to use the flush procedure to get the tranny fluid out of the TC.

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
hheynow said:
When I changed from reg ATF to Redline synthetic ATF in my tranny I had the whole system flushed.

You're not referring to the plug on your trasfer case are ya?

No, I want to get rid of the old tranny oil and replace it with Amsoil. The guy told me there is a plate behind the tranny (on the bottom) that you can take off. He said you have someone tap the key so you can see the tourque converter and there might be a plug on the converter that you can take off to drain it. He said that would save you from having to take off a hose and waste a couple of very expensive quarts of Amsoil.

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
I believe our trucks have a drain bolt on the front surface of the converter. I know my Dad's IDI has a drain, but I I don;t recall weather it was on the front face or the outside barrel part of the converter.

Pull the cover off and shine a bright flashlight up in there, and tell us if there is one. Sorry I can't help more, I'm still learning! :oops:

Dave

ON EDIT: It appears I need to type faster! :D

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will give it a try when it warms up. Right now its 10-20 below with a wind chill of 30-40 below. I dont feel like doing this even in a heated garage when its this cold. PLUS we just got dumped on with 10 inches of snow. Thanks again

lifted_up

TractorMan
Reaction score
the TC in a E40D/4R100 if it is stock has a drain plug. Flush the system really well and especially the cooler. Check out Schaeffers 204SAT synthetic blend ATF before you buy the other.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
smokin joe said:
No, I want to get rid of the old tranny oil and replace it with Amsoil. The guy told me there is a plate behind the tranny (on the bottom) that you can take off. He said you have someone tap the key so you can see the tourque converter and there might be a plug on the converter that you can take off to drain it. He said that would save you from having to take off a hose and waste a couple of very expensive quarts of Amsoil.

I have an aftermarket TC without a drain plug which is why I had mine flushed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14