early 99 upgrades

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
wat else could i look and besides a set of stage 1s for it.. fuel system? hpop?

Between talking to Jody at DP Tuner and Bean of Bean's Diesel Performance, what I've been told about injectors is that compared to split shots, more HP and MPG can be had from single shots. All while needing less demand of the HPOP.

Now one thing to remember about the early 99, is the HPOP is a tad smaller than the 99.5 HPOP. The 99.5 HPOP is refered to a 17* where the early one is a 15*. I've lit the SES light many times without much effort and my Autoenginuity has told me it is a low HPOP output pressure. I notice the SES light comes on easier with warmer oil vs cooler oil, so I'm assuming the pressure stays higher with cooler/thicker oil. There are several aftermarket HPOP's out there but they cost some serious $$$$. From what I've heard any OEM replacement HPOP is of the 17* type, which fits any early 99 or OBS 7.3 just fine.

The injectors I got from Bean's are AC injectors which are sometimes refered to as a Stage 1. The AC injectors are actually a stock high output single shot injector. Several vendor websites say the single shot Stage 1's will put out upwards of 50 more HP than other stock AD code split shots. Single shots in a Superduty 7.3 need custom tuning, without it, it idles like crap.

As for the fuel sytem, the more important/beneficial mods are the "Hutch" mod and shimming the FPR to bring the fuel pressure up to a ballpark range of 65-70 psi. The "Hutch" mod eliminates problem spots in the fuel tank pickup assembly and delivery system where air is sucked into the fuel causing injector noise and poor runnning. This involves dropping the tank or lifting the pickup bed. As long as your in there, it doesn't hurt to do a "Harpoon" mod which cuts the internal vent tube short, making for faster fill-ups at the gas station. For most folks, any further fuel system mods are rather pointless. Few folks build 7.3's to in excess of 400HP. The fuel system mods I've listed should suffice for those of us looking for a better running engine below the more extreme 400+HP levels.

wrangler99*

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Between talking to Jody at DP Tuner and Bean of Bean's Diesel Performance, what I've been told about injectors is that compared to split shots, more HP and MPG can be had from single shots. All while needing less demand of the HPOP.

Now one thing to remember about the early 99, is the HPOP is a tad smaller than the 99.5 HPOP. The 99.5 HPOP is refered to a 17* where the early one is a 15*. I've lit the SES light many times without much effort and my Autoenginuity has told me it is a low HPOP output pressure. I notice the SES light comes on easier with warmer oil vs cooler oil, so I'm assuming the pressure stays higher with cooler/thicker oil. There are several aftermarket HPOP's out there but they cost some serious $$$$. From what I've heard any OEM replacement HPOP is of the 17* type, which fits any early 99 or OBS 7.3 just fine.

The injectors I got from Bean's are AC injectors which are sometimes refered to as a Stage 1. The AC injectors are actually a stock high output single shot injector. Several vendor websites say the single shot Stage 1's will put out upwards of 50 more HP than other stock AD code split shots. Single shots in a Superduty 7.3 need custom tuning, without it, it idles like crap.

As for the fuel sytem, the more important/beneficial mods are the "Hutch" mod and shimming the FPR to bring the fuel pressure up to a ballpark range of 65-70 psi. The "Hutch" mod eliminates problem spots in the fuel tank pickup assembly and delivery system where air is sucked into the fuel causing injector noise and poor runnning. This involves dropping the tank or lifting the pickup bed. As long as your in there, it doesn't hurt to do a "Harpoon" mod which cuts the internal vent tube short, making for faster fill-ups at the gas station. For most folks, any further fuel system mods are rather pointless. Few folks build 7.3's to in excess of 400HP. The fuel system mods I've listed should suffice for those of us looking for a better running engine below the more extreme 400+HP levels.

thanks for the help i might be looking into a turbo and some a/c injectors from beans here in the next few months. If i do that could i leave the fuel system the way it is?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
..... If i do that could i leave the fuel system the way it is?

You could. But the "Hutch" mod fixes a problem that, depending on your point of view, Ford should have issued a tech service bulletin for.

What prompted me to do the "Hutch" mod on my truck, was I was running out of fuel with a 1/4 tank of fuel. One of the issues with the stock fuel pickup in the tank, is the pressed on black rubber pickup snout on the bottom of the assembly. If it comes loose (as did mine), the point of suction just got raised about 5" higher in the tank. So if you only have 3" of fuel depth in the tank when that thing comes loose, you're now sitting dead on the side of the road. So as you can see, the "Hutch" mod isn't just a performance mod, it's a reliability mod too. It's not that expensive to do, you can get the stuff you need at most any auto parts place for I'd guess less than $35 less the filter. Here is a Hutch Mod Instruction sheet for a KIT from ITP. You can see the kit is available with or without an filter.
View attachment 9447
Adding a filter ahead of the fuel pump is a a good idea. As it is, there isn't any decent filter protecting your rather expensive fuel pump. I've found too that using a filter/water separater type element has resolved some suspected water in fuel issues I've experience in cooler weather.

Last edited:

wrangler99*

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
if i decide just to do a turbo. Would i see much of a difference in performance, driveability? d66 wuld be the turbo of choice

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
if i decide just to do a turbo. Would i see much of a difference in performance, driveability? d66 wuld be the turbo of choice

You might, but the biggest increase would be in tandem with the injectors.

Now one thing you may consider that hasn't been discussed yet (since you have an early 99), is getting a 99.5 PCM. The difference computer wise is like going from an old 486 PC to a newer one. The programing is better with 99.5's, especially for tranny operation. If you're like me, I'm suspecting you're finding the tranny wants to drop down out of O/D and into 3rd too easily especially when towing or going up big hills.

I got a 99.5 PCM from DP-Tuner with his 80HP Econo tune on it. The improvement was amazing. I could even tow up hills in O/D where it had always dropped down a gear before. Combine that with a D66 and you'll have to have plastic surgery to get the s**t eating grin removed form your face.

Oh, and BTW, you do have a bigger exhaust, right?

wrangler99*

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You might, but the biggest increase would be in tandem with the injectors.

Now one thing you may consider that hasn't been discussed yet (since you have an early 99), is getting a 99.5 PCM. The difference computer wise is like going from an old 486 PC to a newer one. The programing is better with 99.5's, especially for tranny operation. If you're like me, I'm suspecting you're finding the tranny wants to drop down out of O/D and into 3rd too easily especially when towing or going up big hills.

I got a 99.5 PCM from DP-Tuner with his 80HP Econo tune on it. The improvement was amazing. I could even tow up hills in O/D where it had always dropped down a gear before. Combine that with a D66 and you'll have to have plastic surgery to get the s**t eating grin removed form your face.

Oh, and BTW, you do have a bigger exhaust, right?

ha thanks i might have to look into that.... i have 4 inch from the turbo back

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl