EBPV Love Story

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
When I got my truck I broke with tradition and kept the EBPV, but wired it to use as an exhaust brake. The other morning tho it actually earned from me a newfound respect. I headed out the driveway, late for work, with the explorer console flashing "ice" at me. As I turned the corner onto the main street, swirling fog hit the windshield and hazed it. I hit the wiper/washer, but out of de-icer, so it smeared and froze, impossible to see thru. I was able limp into the nearest parking lot with my head out the window. Hit the EBPV switch and set the AIC at 1500 RPM. Within 2 minutes the windshield was clear and I was on my way with heat from the vents.

Guess it proved it is useful for more than just oil leaks and poor performance.:D

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Yep I wired mine up to use as an exhaust brake too. Have you had yours slide you rears in two wheel drive yet when driving around a corner that you did not know was slick. That will wake you up.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
my 02 dually did the sloooooow 360 plus one moring on a curvy entrance ramp ice was everywhere
i went home and cleaned up afterwards. :eek:
i use my SEIC in my boss very often. best free mod i ever did

Acetcruiser

Hello
Reaction score
Ok i got a Q ..... i don't want to gutt mine but i would like to turn it off sometimes .... I like it for warming up the truck i use a stick to rev up the motor ...but if i drive a few miles and say fill up the truck or run in to get smokes or something come backl out and it "Cold" and holds the truck back once i know the oil is warm and the coolant is warm i want ot be able to turn it off....so can i wire it on a switch so its on when i want for warm up and off after that? If so will i be able to turn it on and use as an exhaust brake anytime i need it ? ....Thankz Matt

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
Many just disconnect it with no problems, so no reason you couldn't just unplug it from the harness and wire it to a switch instead. Or you could use a switch in the existing wire to disable it, but switch it on when you want the PCM to control it. Or use two switches to have both options.

When the PCM activates it, the voltage is pulsed to control how far it closes. With a manual switch it closes completely, so you have to turn it off at higher speeds or accelerating.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Acetcruiser said:
Ok i got a Q ..... i don't want to gutt mine but i would like to turn it off sometimes .... I like it for warming up the truck i use a stick to rev up the motor ...but if i drive a few miles and say fill up the truck or run in to get smokes or something come backl out and it "Cold" and holds the truck back once i know the oil is warm and the coolant is warm i want ot be able to turn it off....so can i wire it on a switch so its on when i want for warm up and off after that? If so will i be able to turn it on and use as an exhaust brake anytime i need it ? ....Thankz Matt
Matt,

I will refer you to Baz's page of tips and tricks for a very good write up on how to turn your EBPV into an exhaust brake or on demand warm-up vavle.

Baz's page.

About 1/4 th of the way down the page you will find an entry under "brakes" on how to do this.

Acetcruiser

Hello
Reaction score
I think i just want to have control over it...turn it on at first start or cold start ...not to have it hooked up to the brake pedal or any of that other stuff......cause i don;t see a reason to mess with my trans and have to wire the TC to stay locked up....So i'm guessing that the 2 wires that go to the plug a one is a grouind the other is a hot.....so i would cut the hot and wire it to a 12 power sourse when the key is on and when i turn the switch on the valve closes and turn the switch off the valve opens? if thats true what wire do i need to cut and wire the Hot to ?? Also what benifit is it to have the tc stay locked up on a switch ???

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
The wires going to the EBPV, the Grey with Red Stripe is the 12v+, the other goes to ground. Based on the versions of the mod I've seen/done, you can leave the ground as is and just cut the Grey/Red wire and connect it to you're 12v switched source.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
JOAT said:
Hit the EBPV switch and set the AIC at 1500 RPM. Within 2 minutes the windshield was clear and I was on my way with heat from the vents
I use mine all the time. At -40 the truck never will warm up without it. Hit the EBPV switch at 1300 rpm's and in 5 minutes the temp is on R in the NORMAL range.:sweet Gut it and 20 minutes later you are :crumm

goldhilljoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to hear that your EBPV`s are working :thumbs great. I considered the value of the braking deal. BUT was more concerned about the oil leaks with the actuating assembly, so for me GUTTING/Sealing was the way to go.-- Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14