Exhaust Suggestions....

Knosem

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm definitely thinking about getting a beefier sound out of my truck, along with the fact that I hear getting EGT's down is a good thing. Herein lies my issue...I'm saving for a leveling kit and tires, so I don't wanna break the bank. I'm thinking single side exhaust (I love the stacks but I use my tonneau cover a lot). I've seen the MBRP 6200P (no muffler) for as low as $150 (something has to be missing) and up to $350. Should I go that route? I don't have emission testing here, so should I just straight pipe it? Will that make it TOO loud? Thanks for the help!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
straight pipes are not extremely loud on a PSD and is a frequently chosen option. Single side exhaust will be the cheapest.

Prices vary significantly from vendor to vendor. But they also vary based on if they include a downpipe or not in the kit as well as the length of the exhaust based on cab/bed configuration. It's all in the details I can say that I have $100 in my downpipe alone.

Knosem

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If I just eliminated the muffler and welded a piece of pipe in it's place, would that be just as useful in cooling EGT's and sound...or do you recommend 4" from the turbo back?

TurboMustang370

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would recommend replacing the entire system. If you do not have emissions testing, might as well get rid of that cat and if you want, the muffler. I'm more of a 6.0 guy but if I recall correctly, a lot of people run a 3.5" down pipe on the 7.3s in order to clear the firewall and 4" back.

Price wise, aluminized is the cheapest, stainless steel gets pricey. You can get a name brand exhaust system, DP back without a cat or muffler for a pretty good price.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I just eliminated the muffler and welded a piece of pipe in it's place, would that be just as useful in cooling EGT's and sound...or do you recommend 4" from the turbo back?

Stock Ford exhaust has Crush bends and the Down-pipes are crushed for about 1.5 feet. The muffler is about the size of a trash can.

Yer call.. but a 4", with Mandrel bends, Turbo back.. is the way to go, muffler or no muffler.

These things are really Choked Off.. when it comes to Intake & Exhaust. Relieving that is a real plus.. in alota wayz... not only EGT's.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
If yer gonna do exhaust, spend the extra and get the full turbo back 4" exhaust. That will help ALOT! And if yer state allows it, cut the muffler and cat off. I noticed a big diff cuttin the muffler off my stock exhaust when i got my truck. It had no cat. I went with the MBRP turbo back 4" exhaust with their smoke stacks. Its got a throaty sound when you really stomp on it but it isnt loud. All my small and big block fords are WAY louder. Stainless is the way to go. Aluminized will last a few yrs but if you have salt in the winter, it wont last long. I went with their full stainless system since they coat our roads in salt. Stick with good name brands like Silverline or MBRP. Probably a few others out there that I cant remember.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Being in the salt belt spend the money for the stainless. Side exit is fine. A 4" downpipe will fit between the firewall with no problem. From the downpipe back it is up to you. You can get a system with a 4" downpipe and 4" or 5" from the downpipe back. The 5" won't really give you anymore performance but will be a little louder and a deeper sound. Obviously the 4" is more economical.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend 4" from the turbo back, muffler or no muffler is your call.
I have the Silverline and it has been fine, also MBRP is a good one. Good Luck and
Welcome to SSD.com.
Doug

Knosem

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the advice! Hell, I may even rip that tonneau cover off and throw a stack on it. I'm so indecisive! Are the stack kits from MBRP easily DIY?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another person saying 4" turbo back in stainless

A single stack is easy on the passenger's side dual stacks require a crossover which is usually inside the bed up against the cab taking up cargo space; but then again so is that single stack.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14