fixed exhaust leak- wont run?

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i did my own up pipe install, it was hard the first time but by the third time i can do it in less than 3 hours if nothing breaks off.
Problem is it wont run now, it's like the turbo cant build any boost, i cant figure what i might have moved or not hooked back up.
I pulled the turbo and the pedestal to get to the up pipes just like the kit tells you to.
i reinstalled it all the same way it came out. I replaced 200 dollars worth of boots for the IC. This is bone stock so i have no gauges. Anybody have any thoughts on what i might look at.
When i try to accelerate, it will barely sputter up to high revs, its almost as if something is restricting the exhaust from doing its job, and there is alot of pressure comeing out of the CCV breather, so much i cant hold my finger over it, it blows it off at high rev's.
What is the wire for that goes in the middle of the intake and has an insulator on it, maybe i put the wire on the insulator wrong????

Thanks for your thoughts on this I know its tuff to diagnose when you cant see or hear it.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Hmmm, get a rag stuck down inside the pipe? Do you have any oil leaks or anything since you took all that stuff off? The wire yer probably thinkin about is the High idle switch or somethin for cold weather? Does it have a wire bail that holds the wire adapter on the switch??

dpantazis

Reaction score
Insulator? You mean the intake air heater? It's not gonna cause that symptom of running like a dog.

Check red and green lines to the turbo actuator. Check the black line to the MAP sensor

Check ALL your boots

Search this forum for tracing boost leaks, make a test plug

Dbl check up pipe gaskets

What is your intake & filter like?

Frankenstien

Frankestien
Reaction score
..... and one of the easiest things to miss is the little clip that holds the EBV in place, if you lose the clip, the engine will act as tho the EBV is closed, essentially shutting off your turbo.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..... and one of the easiest things to miss is the little clip that holds the EBV in place, if you lose the clip, the engine will act as tho the EBV is closed, essentially shutting off your turbo.

Times Two.

I'm think'n, by what you've said jh..... that's yer Gremlin.

Joe

Last edited:

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i got it, there was no rag left behind but i looked anyways. I had not hooked up the EBP link properly and it fell off during testing, this backpressured every thing and forced oil out of wierd places. The second thing i did wrong was i did not have the up pipe Wye connected properly and i was loosing boost as well as smoking out the engine compartment. I now have everything hooked up and running. Thanks to you guys for all your suggestions i used every one of them to get this done, I feel like an expert now since i can do this job in my sleep. The truck runs much better and hopefully will see and an MPG increase.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14