flip chip question!!!!???

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
i just got my chip from TS and im comfused about installing it, all i can find is directions on 99-03 :dunno my computer is under the hood on the fender right?? help please!!

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
also to clean the coating off of the pcm board for the chip to make contact a scotch brite pad works well.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
96EDGEpsd said:
i just got my chip from TS and im comfused about installing it, all i can find is directions on 99-03 :dunno my computer is under the hood on the fender right?? help please!!

No, your PCM is not on the fender, that is your IDM on the fender, the PCM is located on the firewall underhood near the brake booster. Heres some pics of my install.

First,

Unhook batts....

DSCF0021.jpg

There she is........

DSCF0025.jpg

Unhook harness.....

DSCF0026.jpg

Empty PCM slot..... to get the PCM to slide out I had to take the stainless trim off and unscrew the inner fender and use a prybar to bend it down, if not the PCM wont slide out.

DSCF0028.jpg

PCM in the house with the back side facing you, I pulled off the rubber plug where the chip will be located at this point.

DSCF0033.jpg

PCM case after it has been split..........

DSCF0035.jpg

Gently scraping the coating off the contacts with pocket knife, I followed with a 3M scratchy pad.

DSCF0044.jpg

Chip in place on the PCM board.

DSCF0048.jpg

Case closed again with the control wire sticking out the back.

DSCF0049.jpg

Install the PCM in reverse of removal, threading your selector knob in first then follow with the PCM. Find a suitable place on your dash to mount the knob and go make some smoke.:burnit

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Dang, those pics are huge arent they. :D I need to get that article written up in the WIKI.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I might add:

PLEASE BE AWARE: The vehicle must be turned off and it is strongly recommend you remove the keys from the ignition to prevent power from being applied to the computer during installation. Do not switch your ignition to the run or accessory position during installation (i.e. playing your radio) damage to your computer and chip module could very well occur.

These are the instructions I have encase you hit a shady area:

A 10 mm socket is required to remove the wiring harness from the computer. The 10 mm bolt is located at the center of the wiring harness. As you loosen it, the connector will slowly release. Once you have the computer removed locate the end opposite the wiring harness connector. This end usually has either a small plastic cover or a thin metal cover. Pry this out gently. A double sided electrical edge connector will now be exposed. The following can be done through this access panel or by removing the corner screws on the computer and opening the cover(s) to better expose the connector to be cleaned. Most edge connectors have a coating of protective grease on them. Remove this using a Q-Tip, cloth or paper towel. Make sure you clean both sides of the connector thoroughly, you can use alcohol if necessary. Next, most edge connectors have a thin lacquer or coating over the electrical contacts. This is from the factory and is normal. To clean this, use a sharp knife, small flat screwdriver, or scrapper. Be careful to apply gentle pressure and clean only this coating off, do not remove or damage the electrical contacts. Clean one contact at a time, to minimize problems or damage. Clean the area in between the contacts also. (Remember to clean both sides). If you start to see the silver contacts give off fine metal shavings, you are done. STOP! If you remove the cover(s) to clean this connector, now reinstall them. Verify that BOTH sides of the edge connector were cleaned thoroughly Improper cleaning is the largest reason chips fail or work incorrectly. With the edge connector now clean, you are ready to install the chip. Once in place it is suggested to secure the chip with Duct Tape.

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
thanks guys but i really screwed it up now, i hooked it up and the check engine light came on, then i took it out cleaned it more, put it back in, work perfectly fine, took it for a test drive, then when i pulled back in my driveway it stalled out and WONT start, i tried unhooking it, nothing just cranks over...i hooked my evolution up to c if there were any codes and there was 9, and they were all NOT very good sounding, like glow plug low input cicruit,sooo i cleared them to c if then maby it would start, then all i got was a pcm error....i think its done..wut do u think?

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
do you get a wait to start light? how did it run when you drove it? also did you clean both sides of the pcm board?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14