Fluid Changes with a Fumoto

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent the afternoon changing the fuel filters and oil in the PSD.

I started with the fuel filters as I knew that I did not want a hot engine while under the truck. I bought the Craftsman 36mm 12 point socket as I still was unable to locate a low profile 6 point locally. The low profile would have been better under the frame but the standard profile was ok. The cap was very hard to remove and really had to bear down on it to get it started. Took the top cap off first (took a 15/16 6 point) then open port on frame to drain the fuel. I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 ounces of diesel out of the drain. So now I am thinking I will get a bath when I take the frame filter cap off. It did not happen. Maybe another ounce of diesel or so came out. I cleaned the caps replaced the o-rings and filters then cycled the ignition 8 times. She fired right up no hesitation or rough running just smooth power stroking. I let it run for about 10 minutes while I put the slab of ribs on to cook.

Now to the oil change. The FUMOTO valve is great. Get your empty jugs and just set them under the valve. Fill the jug, turn off the valve, put another jug under repeat until drained. No tools no mess. What a great idea. :sweet

I figure from what others are saying that this was probably around $200 at the dealer. I spent about $73 plus tax for filters and oil so my labor paid me around $100 or so plus I know how the job was done. BTW 14 quarts is what I learned is the refill capacity from this site. Cranked it and checked it 20 minutes later. Right on capacity.

Thanks to all for their info on this forum on how to do things for yourself. I learn a lot by hanging around you smart guys. ;tu

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you only changed the oil and not the oil filter. My 06- 6.0 takes 15 QT. with oil filter.
I want a FUMOTO, just have not broke down and got one yet.

Doug

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you only changed the oil and not the oil filter. My 06- 6.0 takes 15 QT. with oil filter.
I want a FUMOTO, just have not broke down and got one yet.

Doug

Figured that was understood but it got our post count up another point. I put 15 last change but read here that 15 would give you a little problem. Double checked and 14 quarts seems to fit around 80% up on the dipstick between the min and max marks.

Last edited:

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price is small compared to the convenience it provides. Actually the price is small regardless. I wish I had put it on my PSD when I made the first oil change. I wouldn't still have the dead spot in the yard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim