Question Front end vibration....

AKmud

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my latest issue....

Truck - 2000 F350 Superduty Crew 4x4 manual tranny

My front rotors have been warped for a while now and I have just been putting off getting them turned/replaced.

Just in the last 4-5 days though, the truck has developed a pulsating like what the rotors feel like even when I'm not applying the brakes. :dunno The problem isn't consistent though, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't (drives normally), no speed relation either.

My best guesses are either wheel bearings or u-joints, any other ideas? :hmm

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Fix what you know is bad first. The warped rotors may be the cause of the feeling that you are getting. The brakes drag a little all of the time and will cause "some" pulsating. Then check it out .

Dave

AKmud

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I thought that could be part of it, but the 'pulsating' is MUCH worse (probably unsafe...) than what is associated with the brakes. Also, if I stop the truck and back it up in a sharp turn the problem will sometimes clear up for a while. It also doesn't happen when the truck is cold. After I have driven 10 miles or so it acts up.

New rotors/pads are already on the way.

AKmud

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well......

When I got home last night, the passenger side hub was so hot I couldn't touch it :)censored: caliper hanging up....). I had already picked up new rotors/pads so I got them changed last night. The pads looked nearly new (maybe 1/8th" worn compared to new) and the rotors looked to be in good shape other than being warped. I'm guessing that the caliper hanging up was heating up the rotor which amplified the warping problem....

I didn't have a rebuild kit for the caliper so I went ahead and put it back together so I could get to work today and it was cool to the touch after a 20 mile drive. I did notice one side of the caliper was hard to push back when I was changing the pads last night so I am going to rebuild it soon even though things seem to be solved for now.

Thanks for the advice, I was really surprised that the amount of vibration I was experiencing could be caused by that one brake!

Lessons learned....;tu

JRJ04

Reaction score
yes you absolutely want to grease those slider pins really well. they are notorious for sticking and will cause a real pain if one hangs up.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14