Frontend shake

08AZF350SD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone experience a head shake coming from the front end? My new F350 did it fairly violently while towing this weekend. Shake seems to originate when the wheels are turned and one of them hits a bump. My buddy's 05 F250 does it so bad he has had to pull over to get it to stop. :dunno

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem has been posted on here before I think, and I got a letter from Ford this week, saying I may experience shimmy, a severe vibration and oscillation on steering wheel after traveling over a bump or dip, and doesn't dampen out. FoMoCo and the NHTSA are studying the condition. The letter doesn't say a whole lot, except to maintain recommended tire inflation pressures. Keep it factory, no lift, factory tires, if it does shimmy, slow down. Hmmm, great letter. I'm sure others have gotten this letter too.

I've never really had it in my 05, there was one trip where I was towing a 12K farm wagon, and it was tail heavy, so not much tongue weight, in hills, at 50 MPH, but I wouldn't call it a shimmy.

Jimmy Tanner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also received the letter yesterday. Mine says if I'm stock, have properly inflated tires, and it still shimmies to bring him in. I'm OK thus far (2500 miles).

The letter implies that if you ain't stock to forget asking Ford for a fix.

Jimmy

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called bumpsteer and happens on lifted trucks all the time. I put a leveling kit on mine and now have to buy the track bar drop bracket to get rid of the minor bumpsteer I have. The reason it happens when towing is you take some of the weight off of the front axle especially with a bumper pull. The design of the suspension allows the drag link to get out of sync with the track bar. Research death wobble or bump steer it's very common for lifted jeeps with a coil suspension.

08AZF350SD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No doubt bumpsteer. The real question is why is there an issue with the factory suspension? I have not touched my truck's suspension.
What is the cure? We may have to wait until we see how Ford reacts.
I agree its common with the straight axle 4X4's. I just wish I knew how to stop it!!!!

pjwoolw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
After all this time and complaints Ford sends a letter to every body to say its normal. What BS. Larger wheels and tires (Continentals were terrible) a hollow tie rod and useless dampener. Granted other factors can add to the problem. Got my letter yesterday. Anybody running this?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have seen them on trucks around here, but I have never had a reason to run the Rough Country stabilizers.

Dave

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A stabilizer will help it from getting totally out of control but doesn't cure it. The factory angles between the track bar which is curved doesn't stay at a close enough angle to the drag link during normal suspension travel and worn bushings and ball joints on both will amplify the problem more. There fix is to replace both the drag link and the track bar and in some cases they add a steering stablizer. I'll have to find there official bulletin of what to do if a customer experiences this. I just saw it the other day while looking for another bulletin.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14