fuel dripping out of fuel bowl drain

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey diesel gods. this morning here in western washington it was in the mid twenties. so i went out to warm up my engine. i let it warm up for about 10-15 minutes. when i went out to leave i noticed a slight diesel smell. a good portion of the passenger side of the engine ( mostly up front ) was wet. it seemed to be mixture of diesel and water. so i wiped everything down and started my truck. i let it run for maybe less than 10 minutes. i crawled under to see if anything was noticable, and wa-la, fuel was dripping out of the drain for the fuel bowl. WHY? is there any reason for that? i checked to see if the drain was closed all the way, and it was, so......? is there an underlying problem elswhere that would cause a build up of pressure and the only way for it to relieve itself is to come out the drain? help me please.

thanks doug

99' f250 7.3L 130,000 miles

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
could be the drain o-rings? I have the OBS so am not familiar with any changes that may have occurred to the fuel bowl. I believe ITP has an o-ring kit. If not, one of the site vendors does. Might be what you need.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Got the same thing going on right now, went to get the emissions test and the shop said it won't pass because of the leak. They said that in the colder weather those o-rings tend to break down a bit and allow some leakage.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Try tightening the 4 torx screws. If that doesn't work it's time for o-rings.

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. i just talked to the dealer and he says "You will have to replace the WHOLE thing. lever and all. It wasnt a good design, and we sell a ton of them" they want 55$ for the stupid thing. so whose absolutely positive that it is just the o-rings? i cant imagine that the whole system would go bad when it is hardly even used. o-rings i can see that happening.

doug

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys.. could those o-rings be bought at a Home Depot or a good parts store? or is it more of a "speacialty" item?

doug young

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey thanks boys. i did get the bolts a little tighter, and that semed to solve the problem. i did however take the cap off of the fuel filter and now im not getting a good seal on that. i know have fuel squuirting every where. have a new filter on order. AAARRGGHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14