fuel pressure sending unit?

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
help please? i have a 97 f-250hd and :confused: on the fuel regulator assembly there is what looks to be a sending unit. It is leaking fuel and i cant seem to find this part anywhere. what is it? do i need it? what is it called? and is a dealer item only? any help would be greatly appreciated.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope no fuel pressure sending unit on the PSD

I can't think of any electrical connections on the fuel pressure regulator. The only elec connections in the area are on the side of the fuel filter canister and those have leaked on some guys before I dont' remember if you could get pieces or if you needed to replace the whole canister though.

If you can take some pictures that would be very beneficial to diagnosing the problem. If not here is a link to a pic of the engine. The regulator is the assembly that in this picture has the brass elbow sticking out of it and bolts down to the fuel filter canister. If you can use this as a basic guideline for helping us figure out exactly where you're leaking.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably the fuel restriction sensor that is leaking. The "newer" OBS trucks had the restriction sensor mounted in the regulator portion. You can see the location of the sensor in this "picture" for the "newer" OBS trucks. The older OBS trucks had the restriction sensor located on the aft side of the fuel bowl way down low. You can electrically disconnect it and use a 1/8 NPT plug (but be careful not to overtighten it as the regulator will crack). Cheers!

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good catch there patrick I forgot that they got all fancy and moved those.

Doggy Daddy

"Junior Member"?? OUCH!!
Reaction score
I think that Ford calls it a "fuel vacuum switch". I have never known of it working to indicate a filter that needs replacing and have seen some crappy filters. A 1/8 pipe plug would be my fix if it were mine.

banana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you. it was a fuel restriction sensor. factory part. i replaced it, but i'll tell ya diesel fuel isnt the only thing expensive about this truck. that little part was 61 dollars and change. thanks again for the help identifying the part.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14