Fuel tank flaking off inside

STI

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, I did search. Truck is a 2006 1 ton dump. After many days of hard starting the truck wouldn't start at all. Our local garage determined it was a bad modulator which they said they could replace, but couldn't program so took the truck to Ford dealer.

Turns out the fuel tank is flaking off inside. Because of this the truck needed a new pump, two injectors, filters, and modulator. The dealer said Ford isn't standing behind the problem and blaming it on the fuel :rant the bill was $2000+ to get it running and quoted a price of $1200 for a new tank.WTF?

There were two other trucks at the dealership with the same problem :watchout

Question is any others on here with this problem and if so what is a possible fix for this? I told him he's most likely SOL and needs to bite the bullet with the new tank, or keep replacing parts.

P.S. This is my old mans truck and he doesn't use computers, so I'm trying to help him out. Thanks for any help you can offer.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on the, thought all fuel cells were plastic. I have not heard this one before.
Doug

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I don't own a 6.0 so I may be all wet here.......

To a novice/crook mechanic a bad algae problem could be passed off as a flaking fuel tank. On my 7.3 there is a screen at the fuel pick up that stops the big floating masses. Material getting passed that would be hard on the fuel pump. Now how it gets passed the fuel filter/filters and gets to the injectors is a mystery to me.

on edit - just remembered when I was working in manufacturing we had plastic fuel tanks de-laminate and cause problems but that was 30yrs ago when plastic fuel tanks were a brand new idea.

Tbar

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a super common issue with cab and chassis trucks that use steel tanks with the liner ,, Ford will blame you for water in fuel/additives ETC

it is possible to clean and re coat or just replace

Corrosion in Ford diesel fuel tanks

Last edited:

casper4203

casper
Reaction score
I too have had problems with fuel filters clogging up prematurely. It seems to choke the primary filter with a fine black grit.
I have wondered about the tank. I have a 2005 F-250 with a plastic tank. I do admit it seems to be worse when I use additives. I backed off on using the additives.
The dealer gets quiet when I bring up the subject to them. I am eventually going to replace my existing tank with a larger aftermarket.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58