Gelled fuel? Help!

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, today after work i went to start the truck and let it warm up. have no option of plugging it at work, always plug it in at home when temps are in the 30's or less. lately its been 4 or 5 degrees as a high. went to work this am with no trouble. the truck started a little rough tonight and smoothed out after approx 1- 1 1/2 minutes. it was running for about 10 min and i went outside and just hit the gas a little to about 1200 rpm(poor mans high idle) held it there for a little bit and then the truck started chugging and eventually died. several attempts to restart was a very loud knocking. pushed the truck into the garage at work and checked the fuel filter for fuel. it seemed a little low. tried starting again, started for approx 15 seconds, died and loud knocking. front tank had 1/4 fuel, rear tank was full. switched tanks and after several attempts to start, it fired and ran rough for a minute and then ran great, got me home. figured it was gelled fuel. what do i need to worry about, injectors, lines, never had this happen before to me. any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
it doesnt sound like gelled fuel if the other tank ran well. Fill the front and see what it does but I'd be surprised if it was gelled. Not sure what else to offer. Someone will though.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm going to add the anti gell additive today, the parts stores were closed last night when this happened. i spoke with my buddy last night who has gelled his psd 2 or 3 times and he said his did the same thing. i dont know, never done it before. well see, i'll let you guys know later.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Keep one of the red containers DieselKleen's 911 in your truck in weather like this. And run one of the additives in every tank when you fill up. The white bottle of DieselKleen works well for winter time.

If it wasnt a gel issue that caused your problem you might look into the UVC harness, it almost sounds like that might be your issue.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
what is the UVC harness?
It is the harness that is under the valve covers (hence UVC), it provides the electrical connection for the injectors and glow plugs and is notorious for shorting out. When one shorts out is shuts fuel off to that bank of cylinders and you will have a very rough idle.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the harness that is under the valve covers (hence UVC), it provides the electrical connection for the injectors and glow plugs and is notorious for shorting out. When one shorts out is shuts fuel off to that bank of cylinders and you will have a very rough idle.

ok, i see. when i switched to the rear tank of fuel i was able to restart the truck, it idles roughly for approx 30-45 seconds and then smoothed out and ran normally. i actually drove it home on the highway and had no performance issues after switching to the rear tank. i'm leaving now to get the power service 911 bottle. i will let you know. i really hope its gelled fuel in the front tank, i dont have any money for major repairs or service.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i got the diesel 911 and added that to my front tank only. i then filled te tank with fresh fuel. i drove back home and switched tanks back to the front and its been running and it seems like its back to normal. altough the exhaust smells funny but i figured thats the additive. i also added the winter additive and cetane boost. keep your fingers crossed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14