Glow plugs??

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up guys, got a quick question, i put new glowplugs in prob 3 years ago and glow plug relay, lately if my truck just sits overnight, its pissed in the morning to start, i need to cycle them 2-4 times so it'll start pretty smooth, if i just cycle once it may just crank and crank and crank....and if it does start it pours out white/fuel smoke.....could the glow plugs be wasted allready? maybe the harness's?? any info is appreciated, thanks guys!!

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Check the relay first. Probably time for glow plugs. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the harness on a 10 year old truck if it hasn't been done before.

Nazty 4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Sometimes my truck wont start at all when it is not plugged in regardless if I cycle the glow plugs several times and the last couple nights have only been in the high 20's low 30's. How much am I looking at for new ford glow plugs and relay? ($) And what do you have to do to replace them? Ive replaced them on my 7.3L idi before but not on the newer 7.3L.

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Sometimes my truck wont start at all when it is not plugged in regardless if I cycle the glow plugs several times and the last couple nights have only been in the high 20's low 30's. How much am I looking at for new ford glow plugs and relay? ($) And what do you have to do to replace them? Ive replaced them on my 7.3L idi before but not on the newer 7.3L.

i forget how much for the glow plugs, i believe it was around 200 for all eight last time and maybe 30 for the relay??....its not too bad, to do the job its not bad at all...intercooler pipes off, air intake to turbo off, valve covers off and you just replace them one at a time, its not too horrible at all, the ones back by the firewall can test u a bit, i believe i learned off of this site from someone or a diy/wiki article to use a piece of vaccum hose or something comparable to finishe screwing it out since you cant really see it. i think the whole job took me 2 hours??...i'm sure someone will pop up with some more detailed instructions for you besides my abridged version, lol...

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my relay, the diesel tech told me to make sure that I replace the correct relay AND that I'm replacing it with the CORRECT relay. The other relay that is on top (I forget what it is...its taller though) will stay on and does not cut off like the glow plug relay. Check that then check your compression. If thats all good then I'd say glowplugs

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14