Happy Earth Day... Run your SD clean!

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Earth Day, here's some thoughts about environment and our favorite toys.

I love my SD. I always wanted one, and I recently got it. I also love the Earth, and want to do my part in securing a healthy planet for generations to come. Somehow those two things combined doesn't seem to make any sense. As the years go on, more and more CO2 is being released and Al Gore recently proved to anyone still in doubt, that this is a seriously bad thing. In my country, every politician is urging us to cut down on all of our consumes. This means driving in puny cars to avoid releasing CO2 and always remembering to turn off the TV and computer, so you don't use too much electricity, made at the CO2-emitting powerplant. We are constantly reminded to cut back on everything and live smaller lives. In Denmark, an extra tax has even been placed on large vehicles for private use, to prevent people from buying them.

But here's my point. We need to use the right kind of energy, rather than cutting back on the wrong. I you have to go to somewhere, but are heading in the wrong direction, then you need to turn around, not just go slower!

So how do we turn around? Simple, actually. We use clean, sustaining energy. While we are waiting for the technologically advanced clean energies such as hydrogen and fission to be developed, the wind and the sun provides us with all the energy we can dream of spending. No need to cut back, just consume and enjoy life!

We just need to harness this energy. Wind mills and ocean-based wave generators can provide us with electricity, and plants (powered by the sun), producing vegetable oil, can make our trucks run clean (and cheaper than regular diesel). Sure, the internal combustion engine emits CO2 no matter what we fill in the tank, but remember that the plants that made the oil absorb the same amount of CO2, so running on SVO is in theory CO2-neutral (in theory because producing the oil costs electricity, but that's where the wind mills enter...).

But, hey, isn't fossil fuels also composed of ancient plants and animals? Yes, but that was a far longer process taking place millions of years ago, and we are releasing all that CO2 in an instant, making a giant build-up which causes global warming.

SVO isn't the perfect solution, due to the somewhat bad ethics of running our trucks on a food source when there is still starvation in many countries of the world, along with the problem of driving food-prices up as vegetable oil becomes a popular commodity, but we have got to start somewhere. And if you run on used oil from the local burger joint, noone can blame you at all, as you are actually recycling thrash.

I guess that all I'm saying is this: make your own small contribution. Don't just slow down... turn around completely.

I'm ordering my SVO kit tomorrow.

-Regards

Friis

Last edited:

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I admire your dedication. But, I would question your access to information based on this statement.

As the years go on, more and more CO2 is being released and Al Gore recently proved to anyone still in doubt, that this is a seriously bad thing.

Have you researched the other side of this argument? Not just listened to what your country's network news editors allow on the airwaves? After seeing the way the US media has covered this issue - with a 100% bias toward "We are causing it" I can't imagine what it must be like over the pond.

Here's a coulpe options from CA & AU.

http://www.lavoisier.com.au/papers/articles/ArchibaldLavoisierAGM.pdf
Canada Free Press - Printer Friendly Version

If we took all the $ that are being thrown at this manufactured issue and put them toward other problems - there would be a lot more accomplished. All this is doing is slowing economies & costing all of us more $ to get by. Developing countries are going to be crippled and remain in poverty forever if AG and the like get their way. For any economy to develop and flurish they need access to cheap energy and the current trend is to stop them from getting it.

What's your feeling on the 50K truck costing 100K in DE. Do you feel your truck is doing 50K in damage to the earth? What about the 5K yearly fee from your first post. Is the general agreement in DE that this is a good thing???

:booboo - Sorry moderators, I just realized this is in the Bio section. & is most likely considered political anyway. - :jacked

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
In my opinion, if you talk about an issue long enough the masses will believe it.

Remember the Y2K scare..........

There is as much evidence against the climate change theory as there is for it. In short, not everyone is a believer.

Feel free to state your opinions but the second this gets ugly or becomes political this goes in the can.

Tbar

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I didnt go political I just stated facts about a certain someones Carbon footprint thats not political. I made no comment about his or my politcal views.

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean to offend or incite political discussions... It was wrong of me to bring up Al Gore. I only hoped to make everyone think a little and take a stand.

I admit that I haven't researched the matter into detail, but I do think that we must all take a step back and form our own oppinion. I try to avoid trusting any scientific evidence and new revolutionary reports too much, because you can never know for certain, if anyone bought an answer. Oil companies are powerfull, but eco-fanatics are equally so.

I'm personally very Pro-US, compared to the average european (otherwize I wouldn't be riding my SD), but there sure is a lot of pointing fingers westward in the EU. But there is just so many interests, that it is very difficult to say anything for sure. So I try to use my common sense.

That common sense tells me that running my truck on SVO can't hurt the environment, due to the CO2 neutrality, or what do you think?

Regarding the yearly 5k $ fee: Environmentally speaking, I don't necessarily think those tax money are being put to good use in Denmark. Its merely a means of scaring enyone from the idea of buying heavy vehicles with large engines, and using them for fun and commuting. So we just pay and smile... As best we can.

Hope this clears things up. Didn't want problems, especially this being one of my first posts...:dunno

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
SVO isn't the perfect solution, due to the somewhat bad ethics of running our trucks on a food source when there is still starvation in many countries of the world, along with the problem of driving food-prices up as vegetable oil becomes a popular commodity, but we have got to start somewhere.

Running on WVO is recycling a waste product. ;tu

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That common sense tells me that running my truck on SVO can't hurt the environment, due to the CO2 neutrality, or what do you think?

Friis - I think that we over-analyze sometimes. Yes, the soybeans and canola that you are recycling can be considered carbon-neutral, since the plants use a lot of CO2 during photosynthesis. Yes, you are helping the environment by reducing "waste" oil volumes. And, yes, you are polluting the air with your rig.

If you like it, and you pay your dues (environmental fee), it should be your right to spend your money the way you want...which is what you have certainly done. Go SuperDuty! :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14