Question hard to start

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW ?? At, or On a COLD~COLD start ? After the "Wait To Start" times out.. the Glow Plugs [may] cycle again.. while yer cranking it over.. without a WTS light..... Depending on how cold the Ambient temperature is.. as sensed by all of the cold start circuit sensors. (PCM driven)

Yallz Call but.. be REAL careful with Starting Fluid.

There's alota Shock energy in a Either explosion.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
when I was a service writer for a truck shop I cant tell you how many trucks would come in melted and plain ol' f'ed from people using either, oh and it was funny when they tried claiming it under warranty. :tounge

No on the either and yes on replacing the battery's. Tiss the time of the year for no start threads when cold. I think SDD mods should maybe make a sticky about it. :dunno whata u think? there is plenty of great info on why and how, but it sometimes gets hard to find as the site gets older and bigger. just a thought.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I was a service writer for a truck shop I cant tell you how many trucks would come in melted and plain ol' f'ed from people using either, oh and it was funny when they tried claiming it under warranty. :tounge

No on the either and yes on replacing the battery's. Tiss the time of the year for no start threads when cold. I think SDD mods should maybe make a sticky about it. :dunno whata u think? there is plenty of great info on why and how, but it sometimes gets hard to find as the site gets older and bigger. just a thought.

VERY good idea about a Cold weather/Cold start sticky ;tu

One other thing worth mentioning (in it) would be:

Smoke & Rough running @ initial Cold (Iron) Start ?

It's permisable and normal.. to see some smoke and feel some rough running, at a Cold start .... until ALL 8 cylinders have built up internal temprature, that reach the Flash Point of #2 Diesel.... bla, bla, bla ???????

Batts, GPR, GPs, fuel temp, head temp.. it's all related, IMO.

Joe

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Before you start throwing parts at it test the GPR with a test light or multi meter.

Tbar

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
Can it be the IPR?

Replaced my GPR, no change. It even failed my voltage drop test. I have been reading the past postings and I am curious about my IPR. Is there a test to determine if this unit or it's o-rings are bad? Will it suddenly fail?

Will cold effect it? I don't mind buying a new one if it fixes the issue. We have a ton of snow here so I am not pressed to get out and use this truck for a few days.

What has me thinking this is even after I get it started and it has been running if you shut it off it will not restart even if you hit the key as soon as it dies. And it started dieing frequently at intersections.

Injectors are new, cam sensor, sensor on front of left head oil rail is new, gpr new. Harnesses are about 7 months old as are glow plugs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14