Hod To Replace My Power Steering Pump

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been needing to add a few tablespoons of power steering fluid every couple of weeks and now there is what appears to be power steering fluid on the floor below the pump. Does anyone have instructions for replacing the pump?

Thanks,

BigRedWeather

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
If it is in fact the pump that is causing the problem and not the high pressure line coming out the side of it here is how to replace...

When you go to get a new PS pump (I got mine from Autozone) Rent a pulley puller. Its a couple of bucks and very simple to use. That will get the pulley off. Then when its time to put the pulley back on (with pump bolted into the truck) The PS pump I bought came with a bolt, washer and nut. The bolt threads into the PS pump pulley shaft then you use the nut and washer to press the pulley back on. Like I said, this bolt/washer/nut for reinstalling the pulley SHOULD come with the new pump. Once you see the pump you'll know what I am talking about. One other thing to be sure of, make sure that the pump you get some with a lifetime warrenty. Most places like autozone, pepboys, or one of the checker stores carry lifetime pumps. Also call around and find the lowest price as the places I mentioned gaurantee lowest price. Once you get lowest price go to the store of your choice and usually they will beat that by 5%...save ya a couple of bucks.

Ok the PS is a very simply R&R...

To Remove: Remove belt, remove High Pressure Line from the side, remove rubber reservoir line on the bottom, remove pulley with the rented puller, remove 3 bolts holding pump in and its out.

To reinstall: Bolt pump into truck with 3 bolts, install rubber hose to bottom of pump, install steel HP line into the side of the pump, Press Pulley onto pump using supplied bolt/washer/nut, reinstall belt, fill with fluid.

After you fill it back up with fluid you can do one of two things.

1) Jack up the front of the truck so the wheels are off the ground. Get in and turn the wheel full lock both directions. Then re-check and add fluid accordingly

2) Drive down the street a little bit after filling with fluid once, then re-check and add accordingly. If you do it this way just drive A LITTLE bit so you dont burn up the pump since it may not be full.

Good Luck!! If you have any more questions ask away!

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Remove power steering return hoses at the pump, and drain fluid.
Remove the power steering pressure hose by unscrewing the connector from the pump.
Remove drive belt.
Remove the power steering pump pulley.
Remove power steering pump retaining bolts, and remove the power steering pump.

Position the power steering pump, and install and tighten all retaining bolts.
Lower bolts 16-24 lb-ft Upper bolts 39-41 lb-ft
Install the power steering pump pulley.
Install drive belt.
Install the pressure hose tube nut into the pump outlet fitting, and tighten to 25-40 lb-ft.
Connect power steering return hoses and power steering return line hose. Reposition the clamps.
Fill the power steering oil reservoir with MERCON® Multi-Purpose ATF.
Start the engine and turn the steering wheel from left to right without hitting the stops to remove air from the system.
Check for leaks and recheck the fluid level. Add fluid if necessary to proper level.

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thorough answer!

BigRedWeather

PSDfreak said:
If it is in fact the pump that is causing the problem and not the high pressure line coming out the side of it here is how to replace...

When you go to get a new PS pump (I got mine from Autozone) Rent a pulley puller. Its a couple of bucks and very simple to use. That will get the pulley off. Then when its time to put the pulley back on (with pump bolted into the truck) The PS pump I bought came with a bolt, washer and nut. The bolt threads into the PS pump pulley shaft then you use the nut and washer to press the pulley back on. Like I said, this bolt/washer/nut for reinstalling the pulley SHOULD come with the new pump. Once you see the pump you'll know what I am talking about. One other thing to be sure of, make sure that the pump you get some with a lifetime warrenty. Most places like autozone, pepboys, or one of the checker stores carry lifetime pumps. Also call around and find the lowest price as the places I mentioned gaurantee lowest price. Once you get lowest price go to the store of your choice and usually they will beat that by 5%...save ya a couple of bucks.

Ok the PS is a very simply R&R...

To Remove: Remove belt, remove High Pressure Line from the side, remove rubber reservoir line on the bottom, remove pulley with the rented puller, remove 3 bolts holding pump in and its out.

To reinstall: Bolt pump into truck with 3 bolts, install rubber hose to bottom of pump, install steel HP line into the side of the pump, Press Pulley onto pump using supplied bolt/washer/nut, reinstall belt, fill with fluid.

After you fill it back up with fluid you can do one of two things.

1) Jack up the front of the truck so the wheels are off the ground. Get in and turn the wheel full lock both directions. Then re-check and add fluid accordingly

2) Drive down the street a little bit after filling with fluid once, then re-check and add accordingly. If you do it this way just drive A LITTLE bit so you dont burn up the pump since it may not be full.

Good Luck!! If you have any more questions ask away!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14