holy smokes !!!

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey every one , I was hoping some people could explain to help me better understand the "smoke" that comes from diesels . I have seen black , blue & white . Now what does the colors mean ? I have a 97 f250 & n the cold weather it will blow blue until it warms up , then it won't blow none unless while in motion I press n the clutch & give it a good kick on the gas pedal then it will puff out a small cloud of black . Is this a good thing or a bad thing ? Some trucks. See they step on it & black smoke bellows out , some blue , some white , some none . The different colors must mean different things , so could some one please explain to me or point me in the right direction to find my answer ? Than a lot

coondog491

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok as far as i know

BLACK: excess fuel being burnt, if theres an excess amount its not really a good thing cause thats alot of lost power. it looks cool to some people though, but its not really a bad thing

WHITE: unburnt fuel that passed through the cylinders, dont really know if that would be a bad thing or not but if theres a great deal of it then something isnt right with your truck.

BLUE&WHITE: burnt oil, can be a number of things wrong, but either way this is never a good thing.

hope that answered your question.

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
WHITE: unburnt fuel that passed through the cylinders, dont really know if that would be a bad thing or not but if theres a great deal of it then something isnt right with your truck.

* White smoke upon start up in cold ambient temp is perfectly normal as long as it clears in a minute or two.

Possible causes for:

Black smoke - faulty injection system (over fueling), clogged air filter, incorrect timing and engine overheating.

Blue smoke - engine oil level too high, worn piston rings, valves or cylinders

White smoke - Engine too cold* (see * above), faulty injection system, incorrect timing and engine overheating

Last edited:

dale7637

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
One missing...

White smoke--- Coolant entering the combustion chamber, somewhat common on head gasket and head failures.

Black smoke, as mentioned, is fuel that is not burning completely. Some think it looks cool, to me it is a waste of money.

Blue usually indicates oil burning, but i have noticed lots of diesels that blow blue when started cold, but never seem to burn oil. I think that if the combustion chamber is not up to temp diesel will sometimes burn a little blue until things warm up. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:

surreyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thank you very much guys , that's some very good info that I dd not know & its much apreciated . I have been reading threads on "smoke" & people generally ask as a reply , is it cold ? & if you plug in does t still smoke ? From what i have read , im starting to lean towards the GPR is gong on my truck . Temps have been between -20 C to -5 C over the last few months & I have been blowng blue upon the frst start of the day . Just a little puff if pluged in & a fair amount if not pluged in but either way , after she's warm , no smoke . I have a 97 f250 7.3 wth 350000K on the old girl & she runs great except for the blue . Does this sound like the GPR ? Thanx agan

jchosler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just put stage II's in and when I gun it, tons of black smoke, I feel like its normal cuz of the II's

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14