New Member Howdy

mwbudman1995

BignBlue
Reaction score
Just wanna say hi to all my fellow SuperStroker buddies. Had the idea of joining a group like this for some time, but finally found the time. To start off with, I'm here to help any way I can which will probably come in form of collision resources as I work in a major body shop in my town in the Metro St. Louis area. The help I need is to locate a possible drain in my electrical system. It's been going on for about a year now. I have a new alt and new batteries, but as soon as it gets a bit chili out, like now, the voltage reads about 11.5 on the dash and is sluggish to start. I have had an aftermarked radio since I've had the truck and aftermarket sub/amp.

Any takers on this?

Mike:)

mwbudman1995

BignBlue
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD....tell us more about your truck

did this problem start after you added the sterio?

No. I put in the A/M stereo about 5 years ago. The problem really showed itself last winter when the truck would sit for a couple of days. It would be really sluggish at the first start of the day, but the weird thing is, after the RPMs would reach about 2000, the amp gauge would read normal, the lights would brighten up and all would be fine until the next rest. I replaced the alternator, swapped in new batteries and during the spring and summer, it was great. I bought a cheap little car to get to work in, so my truck sits for a week or two at a time. Again, the warm months presents no problems, but while I was camping this past weekend, I noticed that familiar sluggish start again. I will be taking a hard look at my cables and will probablty start with the basics like new clamps and that sort of thing. It just seems like a drain is goin on.

Thanks for jumping in.

Thoughts??

atk

Reaction score
No. I put in the A/M stereo about 5 years ago. The problem really showed itself last winter when the truck would sit for a couple of days. It would be really sluggish at the first start of the day, but the weird thing is, after the RPMs would reach about 2000, the amp gauge would read normal, the lights would brighten up and all would be fine until the next rest. I replaced the alternator, swapped in new batteries and during the spring and summer, it was great. I bought a cheap little car to get to work in, so my truck sits for a week or two at a time. Again, the warm months presents no problems, but while I was camping this past weekend, I noticed that familiar sluggish start again. I will be taking a hard look at my cables and will probablty start with the basics like new clamps and that sort of thing. It just seems like a drain is goin on.

Thanks for jumping in.

Thoughts??

that would be a good place to start with the cables and cable ends. when you replaced the alternator, was it a remanufactured or a new one? i would have it tested to make sure it is working properly. also i would load test the batteries just make sure they are ok(make sure they are fully charged)....how old is the starter?

sometimes with issues like this, it is a process of elimination...hope this helps

mwbudman1995

BignBlue
Reaction score
alt is reman. Starter is orininal. I suspect that the glow plugs may be using a bit more at start up, and it takes about 10 seconds for the lamp to go off before I can start the motor. I put a tester on the batteries last night after the truck sat for two days and they showed 12.5 volts which is fine. I then tightened both cable ends (they were a bit loose). I won't be using the truck until this weekend, and before I start it, I will again, check the voltage prior to start up to check and see what I got.;)
More to come...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14