Help Needed HPOP oil leak

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2000 F350 started leaking a lot of oil the other day and I found that the leak is coming from the high pressure oil pump. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where the leak is coming from on the pump except it looks like the drops are coming from the rear of the pump when it is running. I found a bulletin about replacing the o-rings at the oil line connections and the plug at the rear. Has anyone replaced these o-rings and had success? Has anyone had the large o-ring seal at the rear cover of the pump that is held in with the large snap ring leak? Can the HPOP be disassembled or does it have to be replaced? I probably should do what the bulletin says and see if that fixes my problem but I wondered if someone has had a similar experience. Thanks, Gil

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Hpop

The service bulliten is the best place to start, the two fitting off the pump where the lines go to the cylinder heads are the most common o-rings to cause the valley to fill with oil, the ferry plug your refering to is almost impossible to repair and expect it to leak again if you try to. I did a side job on a f450 wrecker and told the owner it needs a new pump, due to someone trying to silicone, teflon tape ot prior. The o-ring your refering to is a gasket where the pump bolts to the back of the front cover. They are reasonably priced so if you do it yourself be sure *sure* that you do not drop the bolt and washer into the front cover, get ready for a horror show if that happens, gotta pull the front cover off, seen it happen before. There is a oval cover that has two 8mm bolts riht behind the coolant supply at the water pump, also be sure to clean and re-silicone that good or you'll be leaking oil, pumps run about $500 - $700 depending if you know anyone, good luck.

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I purchased an o-ring kit today and will put it in this weekend. If this does not cure the leak, it sounds to me like the HPOP will need to be replaced. The bulletin says that the only thing that has to be removed to gain access is the turbo inlet. Is this true? Should I suck the oil out of the reservoir to keep the mess to a minimum? They say that the threads must be clean and dry in order for the loctite that comes in the kit to work effectively. Are there any other o-rings or seals that should be replaced while I am in there such as the IPR or ICP o-rings? The truck has 172,000 miles on it. The inside of the engine is very clean. I appreciate your advice. Gil

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the o-rings go in my HPOP. Fried my clutch and had to have the thing towed. $250 tow bill for $5 packings. Sucked. New ones should fix it.

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I replaced the o-rings in the HPOP today and the leak seems to be cured. Truck seems to run better too. Thanks for the help. Gil;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14