HPOP oil reservoir, oil change?

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
This probably has been discussed but ive missed it, and a search didnt turn it up either.
i recently ran across this site;

YouTube - powerstrokehelp's Channel

this guy has lots of videos on longevity for the 7.3

is there a general consensus about the validity of these clips and proceedures???

should a guy change the oil in the HPOP as suggested in the video, ive always thougth the oil circulated through out the motor.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I always change the oil in the HPOP when draining the oil pan.

I get maybe 2-3 changes out of these pumps before the interior parts breakdown,they're a few bucks at Harbor Frieght and can get em on sale from time to time.

vbpgimage.php

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be ALL News to Me.

The oil in the HPOP is oil from the CC.. and would be such a small amount, of the 3+ gallons in an oil change.. it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Or have we been missing something, all these years ?????

Joe

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score
i checked this out on PSN they rode a guy pretty hard for asking about changing the oil in the HPO system and the guy who made the videos was pretty much lame.... sooo whats the right thing to do for our trucks... ive always thought that the oil circulates fast enough and in large enough quanitites to insure that the oil would be the same.
CHP give us some of your ideas on why you change that oil also.... i dont want to start a huge big deal, like on some of the other diesel sites... just wondering what is the right thing to do.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
This would be ALL News to Me.

The oil in the HPOP is oil from the CC.. and would be such a small amount, of the 3+ gallons in an oil change.. it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Or have we been missing something, all these years ?????

Joe
I think you are right on. About the only advantage to changing the HPOP oil would be to get every last drop out of the engine. I understand it is only about a quart and like has been said, its not enough to worry about. I might be tempted to get rid of it changing to synthetic but I've never been tempted enough to do it.
Jim

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I change out the oil in the HPOP res as it holds near 12 ounces of fluid and I'm also a firm believer in being thorough especially some of us take extreme care of our rigs.

Sure 12 ounces of old oil may not seem much to some but it's 12 ounces of dirty oil left in the system:innocent

Takes about 15 mins to change it out ;tu

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
let's check my math here...
12oz in the HPO res..
16oz in a pint, two pints in a quart, 16 quarts in a pan...
512 oz in an oil change..
2% of your oil in the HPO res...

if you could do it quicker and without a sucker gun, I might be tempted to do it myself.

I think I'll run out to Harbor Freight and grab one though.. little sucker gun like that can come in handy...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58