If you like working with tablesaws

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll choose trust the federal agencies who regulate such things ensure how safe this thing is. That's their job. I'm pretty busy with my own business!

As a safety professional I wills say that: This is a very dangerous attitude. The people writing the regulations most often do not know the reality of how things work and rely on "experts" to make recommendations. The problem is that the "experts" they rely on generally have a vested interest in guiding the rules a specific way. Now granted there is a period of public comment on all new rules & regs but very few get removed.

The reality of the experiment shown where he uses his finger is that this is not an accurate representation of reality. First he is moving his finger far slower than any operator would be moving wood through a saw. Take a look Here at their own site and see that it is not a blood free incident when used in real applications. Granted there are no missing digits but far from the blood-less wonder portrayed. Second the operating premise of forming a connective route between the table and the blade can pose problems should one not actually have any contact between their skin and the table.

While I think it is a great tool it is currently not recognized by OSHA as an acceptable machine guard. However the caveat here is OSHA's General duty clause:

OSHA said:
The Occupational Safety and Health Act requires employers to comply with hazard-specific safety and health standards. In addition, pursuant to Section 5(a)(1), the General Duty Clause of the Act, employers must provide their employees with a workplace free from recognized hazards likely to cause death or serious physical harm. Employers can be cited for violating the General Duty Clause if there is a recognized hazard and they do not take reasonable steps to prevent or abate the hazard. However, failure to implement these recommendations is not, in itself, a violation of the General Duty Clause. Citations can only be based on standards, regulations, and the General Duty Clause.

There is a system bypass rendering this a normal table saw.

Several of the potential problems have been pointed out in this thread but they have also been addressed by Sawstop's FAQ

5. Will cutting green or “wet” wood activate the SawStop safety system?

SawStop saws cut most wet wood without a problem. However, if the wood is very green or wet (for example, wet enough to spray a mist when cutting), or if the wood is both wet and pressure treated, then the wood may be sufficiently conductive to trigger the brake. Accordingly, the best practice is to dry wet or green wood before cutting by standing it inside and apart from other wood for about one day. You can also cut wet pressure treated wood and other conductive material by placing the saw in bypass mode.

7. What happens if the blade comes in contact with a nail or staple in the wood?

Generally, the safety system will not activate when a nail or staple is cut. Although conductive, these objects are not large enough to cause the safety system to activate unless they are grounded to the table or operator when they contact the blade.

20. Do I need to use a blade guard with a SawStop saw?

Yes. SawStop strongly recommends that you use a blade guard whenever possible.

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that he went into the blade from the side, and not straight into the blade. I do think that there would have to be a lot of chutzpa to be able to run you finger straight into the blade. I know that even if I had absolute confidence in the product, that I could not do it.

It is still an impressive idea, I have to agree it is not the perfect thing, but it is a lot closer.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that he went into the blade from the side, and not straight into the blade. I do think that there would have to be a lot of chutzpa to be able to run you finger straight into the blade. I know that even if I had absolute confidence in the product, that I could not do it.

It is still an impressive idea, I have to agree it is not the perfect thing, but it is a lot closer.

Yeah, he ran his finger in from the side, but he did touch the teeth of the blade pretty much straight on. When you're pushing a piece of wood throught the saw though, your finger will probably be more likely to hit the blade on an angle like that than stright on anyhow. Either way, it's an awsome piece of equipment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14