Intakes?

Blane

ME = CRAZY
Reaction score
im sure this question is asked alot but i tried searching for a thread on it with no luck.

im looking for a new intake. i hear good things about the AFE stage 2 but why is it so damn expensive? lol. the K&N kit is about $100 cheaper (both on ebay, brand new)

is there a big difference between the two? is the AFE worth the extra money?

thanks.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Personal preference mostly.

I first put an airaid on my truck in 01 which used a K&N filter, it was much like the AFE stage I. The K&N filter on it became so bad that I could see large holes through the media material and a replacement filter was in the $75-100 range. I had the same experience with a K&N filter on my recently sold 63 Chevy II hotrod. I purchased an S&B extreme aircleaner (filtered lid) as a replacement and was very impressed with the tighter weave and construction of the filter. S&B now makes intakes for our trucks but I haven't seen one in person. I decided to upgrade my intake on my truck after pricing a new filter vs a perceivable better performing intake. I got a great deal on my stage II and have been happy with the filter and most everything else. The only issue I have had is that the battery is held down with long bolts into threaded rivets. These are rivets with threads placed into the sheet metal that allow your to thread a bolt into them. One of them popped out but it was easily solved with a nut on the backside of the sheet metal. I'm sure that AFE would take care of it for me, but to me its not even worth a phone call since I solved it. Overall I'm happy.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
Shaggy,

It's going to be really hard to beat the AFE Stage II for flow, spool up and overall performance. As far as cost the Stage II in PG7 is expensive but you do get what you pay for. We do have a sale on all Stage II systems so that can help you some and of course were a Sponsor that helps keep the site free to members and we have a price guarantee that will make sure you get the best deal too. Call us if you haved any questions, we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Shaggy said:
.... i hear good things about the AFE stage 2 but why is it so damn expensive? lol. the K&N kit is about $100 cheaper (both on ebay, brand new)

One thing is you can't get 7-layer filter media with the K&N(3 layer last I read.) Pro Guard 7 from AFE would get my vote of the two. But I really don't like oiled cotton gauze filters because I live in a dusty climate.

lukecline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
afe stage 2 is all i'll run on my good truck. My stock truck i run a tymar style setup, mainly because i dont want to spend the $ to put an afe on it.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in the AFE and have only 1 minor complaint: the divider wall between engine compartment and intake plenum is a bit shaky on rough roads. However, the airflow increase and filter media performance is a significant. KN doesn't past my filter efficiency muster. Pump it a LOT more DIRTY air and you got a problem...!

ward cleaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about AEM dry filters instead of the Tymar or AFE?
How do they compare for flow? I don't like the idea of oil/grease in my intake.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How loud is the factory turbo with the AFE Stage 2 vs. stock box? +99.5 7.3 Powerstroke.

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the AFE Stage 2 with PG7 the whoooosh of air being pulled in after letting off is AWSOME. The whine is LOUDER and more pronouced. OH and the gitty up and GO is, well let's just say "It'll git r done" I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine, I can't believe I would ever find anything better.
:burnit :sweet :ZigBang: :ford :GRD :woot :2c :hail

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14