Is 500ppm diesel still avaliable?

dmd

Reaction score
A local station still has the 500ppm sticker on the pump (Lewisville TX).
I was wondering of they have just forgot to add the new stickers or if they may really have the 500ppm.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I know there's 500PPM still at the on highway pumps at the truck stops but for the local pumps I'm not sure of. Best thing to do is ask the station attendant if it is the old LSD 500 or the ULSD and haven't put the new decals on.

dmd

Reaction score
They said they had the new stuff (15ppm) and everyone complained, and went back to the old stuff (500ppm). Was just wondering of they were yankin my chain. The truck does seem to smoke more and seems to make less noise, thought it might have just been in my head.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
The new fuel was formulated for the new 2007 & up Diesel engines on the revised EPA standards on a national platform and along with the new formula is less smoke/emissions but they never said the 2007 and older engines would sound or perform like they did with the old 500PPM fuels:D

Bottom line if you own a 7.3L do what you can to locate 500PPM fuel or a BioDiesel blend:sweet (My personal opinion based on recent experience);)

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They still have it here on the pumps too. I went in and asked twice and the mornons there have no clue....lucky enough to be able to pronounce their own names.

But I did notice a new sticker replace the old one about 2 months ago so I assume they wouldn't put a new one on if it was wrong. So yes they we still have 500ppm. And I think it was placed by the state.

Shadow_Grey

Comfortably Numb
Reaction score
Greatest Nation on Earth! You don't like it, LEAVE
Most "Gas Stations" will not know (attendants even less) or even think about as it is all about their cost at the pump to be competative. The haulers that come out of the terminals play a big part in what is in the underground tank below the pump. Many "gas stations" may put the sticker on the pump to be legal but in reality may not have the new ULSD. One is because you have to have either run gas in the truckers tank compartment or two, steam clean the truck tank before hauling the ULSD...I guess you could also have special trucks hauling only it too but that would be expensive to the hauling company.
At the loading terminals for the tanker trucks they also would have to have special lines that would only have ULSD to the truck. Currently, they generally have one hose they hook up to the tank truck and fill one compartment(1500 to 3000 gallon compartments) at a time. When that compartment is full they move the same hose to the next compartment and pick what fuel and amount to load into that compartment. Those choices would be different grades of gas, premium #2 diesel, regular #2 diesel, off road #2 diesel, Bio-diesel in any ratio you can think of but commonly B5, B11, B20, B50, B100, ULSD diesel, Heating oil, red or white Kerosene, and more I can't think of right now. Depending what the truck ahead of yours loaded last and what was in the tank before the current load it could have traces of anything. Push of the button and here it comes. It really depends on how alert the driver is as to the amount of contamination in the tanks. Unloading also. Usually they only haul ~8000 gallons or less total due to the weight restrictions on the truck in the 4-5 compartments. If one compartment had off-road (Red) or 500ppm diesel for example, in it before hand, the ULSD the driver just put in it is now considered compromised and can not be considered USLD, legally. If the driver just had gasoline in the tank the load before getting the ULSD it would be OK. Most places that get it and redistribute it will have to dedicate special tanks, piping and pumps for this stuff and that adds to the cost of handling it so most will not bother until 2010 when it is mandated unless specificially asked. Adding any additives to the tanks is a whole other issue also. Some do and some do not.
My take is that if you have an engine that requires the ULSD you are going to have a real hard time in the next few years finding the correct real ULSD fuel that has not been contaminated with the regular diesel or anything else.
That is my take on the ULSD issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14