Question Is the 6.0 I/C a Direct Bolt In?

JRJ04

Reaction score
As the title states, will I have to make any special mods to my 02 7.3 to drop upgrade to the 6.0 I/C or is it just plug and play?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
As the title states, will I have to make any special mods to my 02 7.3 to drop upgrade to the 6.0 I/C or is it just plug and play?

Yes & No

The intercooler will mount just like the old one. I had to re route my trans cooler lines because the bottom of the 6.0 intercooler hit them where they were.

Also new intercooler tube connector boots were needed. They need to be a bit longer and the inlet or outlet on the I.C. was a different size. (I don't recall which.)

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
do you think it was worth the effort? How much did it lower your egt's? Any hp or mileage gains?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
do you think it was worth the effort? How much did it lower your egt's? Any hp or mileage gains?

I did the upgrade a couple of years ago. It took me a bit, but I found the old post I did describing the process HERE.

You won't see much of an EGT decrease if just going down the road. But if towing, you'll see a slight improvement. The alternative is one of the high dollar $1200+ intercoolers. I did the 6.0 IC upgrade for around $300.

So yes, there was an improvement. It just wasn't a major improvement worth $1200.

JRJ04

Reaction score
So then this begs the question...are the high dollar I/C worth it? Seems to me like this isnt a mod for a truck thats a daily driver MOST of the time. I just came across one at a good price so i figured id learn more about it.

TG, you did the 6.0 Tranny Cooler too right? Now that I would think had huge gains? Your thoughts? I can/and probably will get that from this same guy selling the I/C.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the straight.. 6.0 I/C swap, but I Tow alot. Made a noticable difference in lower EGTs, towing... but not WOW WIZBANG.

Would I do it today ? Yes

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
So then this begs the question...are the high dollar I/C worth it? Seems to me like this isnt a mod for a truck thats a daily driver MOST of the time. I just came across one at a good price so i figured id learn more about it.

TG, you did the 6.0 Tranny Cooler too right? Now that I would think had huge gains? Your thoughts? I can/and probably will get that from this same guy selling the I/C.

When I did my intercooler, I used a new 6.0 intercooler. If you can do it with a used one, hell, whatcha got to loose.

When I did my tranny cooler, it was right about the time the 6.0's were coming out. So using a 6.0 tranny cooler was not a widely known option. What I did was use a tranny cooler from the v-8/v-10 trucks.
View attachment 9856

For some insane reason, Ford figured that trucks with a bigger engine and the same tranny needed a smaller cooler.:dunno
In addition to that, I installed an aux cooler about 12" square. Between the two, I seldom see towing tranny temps above 175* and never above 200*. FWIW, I do not have the oil to water cooler in the radiator.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
how much lower EGT'S? 100*, 200* ? Do you notice any difference just cruising down the road? I'm more concerned with my tranny temps than my EGT's....I can just back off the throttle for those. Would you say this is a better mod for someone who will tow more often that not? Just seems like the vibe I get is that this won't do a whole lot for you if you aint got a load behind it.

TG, thats good to hear...cause I can reach just south of 200 pulling a couple thousand pounds (I think its safe to say an RV weighs more than that!!!), and go over 200 when I get in deep sand on the beach.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14