Is this Gelled Fuel??? Help!!!!

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I thought I understood, but obviously don't.

This morning I took the kids to school, truck plugged in for 4 hours, Temps have been around 0 for the last few days, (wind chill, to -15). Truck warmed up for about 10 minutes then off to school and work. About 2 miles up the road, losing power, and step on accell, no power at all. Stopped, shut down, and re-start, normal operation until a few more miles, then the same thing.

Now, last fill-up I put power service in tank. I put more in the tank and filled tank up @ flying J after dropping off kids. Normal operation to work. Truck sat for 7 hours at work.

Got in truck, started and let idle for a bit. Started home, and my truck started to lose power after about a mile and a half, then shook like if you had all tires out of balance. Stopped, shut off, start, normal until about another mile.

It did die on me once, (turning off us93, no steering, brakes, etc... frightening).

Anyway, it did this to me all the way home. When it died, it did not want to start, but did on about the 5th try. But started acting up in about a mile.

Sorry for the long post. Does this sound like gelling, or do I have something else going on??? No check engine light, nothing. Do I need to replace the fuel filter??? Biggest problem is no garage, shop, or even a lean to, (going to have to fix that next spring). So anything is going to be in the 5-10 degree weather. (Yeah, Idaho!). Guess I'm taking the day off tomorrow.

What do you guys think, any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Barrett

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ideas? Try pulling the fuel filter and see if it is coated in parafin wax (gelled fuel).

But yes, to me it sounds like a gelled fuel situation.

alldiesels

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mine jelled on me this morning, first time in 5 years one of my diesels has jelled, fired up fine drove about 10 miles and started running shitty, got to school and shut it down, after class fired it up, still not running right, went to peterbuilt and put some 911 in it(gets red of gell) has ran fine for 45miles home and then to town for chew, so i think it waz gelled it was -6 when i fired her off this morning
robert
out

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Ideas? Try pulling the fuel filter and see if it is coated in parafin wax (gelled fuel).

But yes, to me it sounds like a gelled fuel situation.

Yep
Changed filters, still won't run. It's now at the local Chevy dealer, (dealer is a family friend), thawing out hopefully. Had several trucks (gm, dodge, ford) in there. They all seem to be dropping like flies here.

Thanks for the help.

Barrett

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Fuel line from the tank to the pump is(was) probably clogged with the parafin too. Curious here? Did you have winterblend in and an additive?

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Fuel line from the tank to the pump is(was) probably clogged with the parafin too. Curious here? Did you have winterblend in and an additive?

I had PowerService (white bottle) in @ last fill up a couple of weeks ago. I also put the PowerService in yesterday when I filled up.

Apparently, a lot of the trucking companies around here have had the same problem, (one guy I talked to today said they can't get the fuel to flow out of their large tanks).

I think that the stations waited too long to get the winter blend in and most assumed that it was the correct fuel. The guys I talked to today, said the same thing.

It's weird, you drive around here, and you will see many trucks stalled on the road. Cold snap hit fast and hard I guess.

When my truck thaws, with the additive I have put in, will that solve the problem, or do I need to change the filters again and dump the fuel???

Frozen In Idaho!

Barrett

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
This sounds like the fuel was not "winterized" in time for the cold snap. The fuel distrubitors should have done this weeks ago.

Dave

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would try buying fuel from a different station rather then Flying J. I have used their fuel before and never had any problems, but on Wednesday I lost power and sounded like it was running on four cylinders. I then called a mechanic that works at a diesel engine shop and said that one time a load of unwinterized fuel was dumped in Salina, Kansas last year at a Flying J and half the town was gelled up. I found out later on my lift pump went out, but I'm not for sure if it was dirt or the diesel that burnt out the pump. The mechanic also said that Flying J doesn't put in the additives the others do. I am pretty sure that mine didn't gel up.

2000 F-250 afe stage 1, KN airfilter, 4 inch flowmaster exhaust, crank vent mod

BBBxcursion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been putting treatment good for 60 gallons when I fill up 40 gallons everytime and so far no problems.-Stanadyne performance formula. I had a feeling some of the stations were not ready for the cold weather to hit us so fast.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I would try buying fuel from a different station rather then Flying J.
We have one chain of stations here in W.Mich that their fuel gels at about 7 above. You have to remember that #1 is more money than #2 fuel oil and the name of the game is money. Let the buyer beware. All winter blended fuel is not equal. Have a friend that drives for a major hauling company here in W. Michigan and he has seen drivers do a no blend at 20°F and ship straight #2 to a station.
I use nothing but BP or Amoco Premier in the winter and never have had a problem.
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14