Question ISSPRO Performax Series users

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am part way through a job that is a pain. A serious pain. But it will pay. :sly My buddy keeps saying "BMW GSA 1200" everytime it gets rough, which is regularly...I am a bit more fiscally conservative (and don't want to die riding a 2-wheeled demon), but with the anticipated payoff I've found myself chanting "ISSPRO Performax Series Gauges".

It seems they will run about double of a standard nice set for 3 gauges, because the controller unit runs $250 everywhere I've searched. For example, Thoroughbred Diesel (ISSPRO PERFORMAX Gauge Kits) has a 3-gauge kit for around $740 although I'm not yet sure what is in the kit. Diesel Manor lets you build the package and w/o pods and so forth seems a bit cheaper. Yeah...they're pricey gauges. But once you start adding more gauges it starts to make sense. And install into cab seems so much cleaner and easier.

I'm asking for ideas from anyone who's used 'em or has looked hard at 'em. Ideally, I'd get: boost, egt, tranny temp, oil temp and coolant temp +?. Just because. Thoughts welcome, including which gauges and merits of different mount locations. For example put 3 on A-pillar and 2 above rearview mirror, or 4 on A-pillar period, or I don't know what.

I've never installed a gauge before and I don't do much other than occasional modest towing or hauling. Mostly just highway light loads. But I do like gadgets!! And I freely admit this is a lark.:sweet

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't NEED to tow to use the EGT. 1200 degrees means the same thing whether or not you are towing; you are melting pistons. Granted it is easier to hit 1200 degrees towing. I am a gadget freak also. Have fun, whatever you chose.

Dave

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a great set of gauges, its your $$$ and if you want to spend it on gauges then do it (I am a gadget guy as well). If you have the extra money, you might want to look at differential gauges as well as what you mentioned but pyro and egt would be priorty one.
I have had overhead and I like them, I have A pillar now and like that more. I am considering adding more gauges (differential, oil press and water temp) and will put them overhead if I do. that would give me 3 on the pillar and four overhead if I add them.
good luck with the gauges.

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :D

What do you think about 3 vs. 4 gauges on the A-pillar? I'm thinking of 5 total for now: egt, boost, tranny, coolant temp, oil temp; debating on 3 on an A-pillar (egt,boost,tranny) and then other stuff on overhead. Or if I used 4 on A-pillar maybe just 1 overhead? King, I"m curious why oil pressure?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would prefer 3 on the pillar and the rest overhead. Dont really like the 4 gauges on the pillar. I like oil pressure so I can just keep a little closer watch on my engine. like to keep a eye out for low pressure. same as watching the tranny temp to make sure you don't fry the tranny.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard awsome things about these guages. Sure you are going to enjoy them even more so when you move them around and try to figure out were they work the best for you.

Michael

Gauge Guy
Reaction score
You've probably figured it out by now, but there's currently a $100 rebate in effect if you buy a Performax set (ESP controller plus 3 gauges).

I'd consider an HPOP Pressure gauge. It can help diagnose problems, and it's just fun to watch (it acts like it's attached to a string on your right foot).

For an oil pressure gauge, remember that the factory oil pressure gauge is just a glorified idiot light. The pointer can only be in one of two positions, since the sensor is really just an on-off pressure switch. Mine came in handy when my dipstick came loose from my oil pan, and I could see the flutter in pressure as I started to draw air.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

dpantazis

Reaction score
rsg- your buddy is almost right... but you'd be better $$$ with a r1100gs or r1200rs... but if i had to go new, i think i might do F800GS.. but then again money does not grow on trees.

knowing what i know now, and the issues i had with my gauges (my own fault), i think the perfomax will be more fool proof to install and trouble shoot.

i will say that no matter which ISSPRO gauges you choose, Micheal and his crew will take care of you.

dennis
still needing to find the flaky ground wire

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first check arrived Saturday. Deposited it and also saw the rebate yesterday. This is getting good!!! ;tu

I'm now thinking to put the "normal" 3 on the A-pillar and then am toying with some of the following elsewhere: oil temp, coolant temp, oil pressure, turbo exhaust temp (maybe cobbled somehow with a turbo saver module).. and now maybe an HPOP... hmmm....will have to rethink the layout!

Recommendations on where to buy???

Thanks,
Rich

(Dennis--it has to be GS-A for his African adventure...or was it South America? He's certifiable)

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are going to run an HPOP gauge, don't run any tubing into the cab. You will have a big mess if it leaks. Use only an electronic sender with the HPOP gauge.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14