comment jolt on take off

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been noticing that when i take off no matter how easy i get a jolt almost feels like the rear end like theres slop in the driveshaft. im hoping its nothing major and i maybe just fartin in the wind with this. been wanting to ride in my brotehr in laws truck (same truck) to see if his does it.

im thinking worse case its sloppy gears in either the pumpkin or the tranny. best case the driveshaft for whatever reason the teeth on the yoke are worn. why would they be worn though???? beats me...just a possibilty i guess

:dunno:coffee

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Several trucks ago, I had one that did the same thing. Turned out to be the Posi unit popping. I didn't do anything, just lived with it.

Dave :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been noticing that when i take off no matter how easy i get a jolt almost feels like the rear end like theres slop in the driveshaft. im hoping its nothing major and i maybe just fartin in the wind with this. been wanting to ride in my brotehr in laws truck (same truck) to see if his does it.

im thinking worse case its sloppy gears in either the pumpkin or the tranny. best case the driveshaft for whatever reason the teeth on the yoke are worn. why would they be worn though???? beats me...just a possibilty i guess

:dunno:coffee

Take a look at the U-joints, Slip-Yoke and Carrier bearing first (?) ... Historically.. they are the "Clunk/Jolt" causing gremlins on these things.

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i keep going back to my previous truck which was my 79 chevy and i remember with it when it did that, it was the u joints (big dent in the driveshaft...lol) but it was also a stick. my main thought is the yoke at the diff.

but i have to admit bigjoe i didnt think about the u-joints...lol

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iracemine- i will check that out tonight. any recommendation on what type of grease? i figure the same type grease i use on tractors would work? or does it need to be a high temp?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Last edited:

JfmF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I also had that happen and it turned out that the slip joint was dry, I had it greased with a teflon base grease.Now truck takes off with no clunk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14