Locking the converter

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have asked this question before an had responses it could not be done but I will ask again

I would like to be able to manually lock the converter in my 2004 diesel Excursion. The responses I got said it could not be done on the 04s.

Let me amend my question. Can the 03 CPU be directly substituted for the 04 and then be able to lock the converter?

My reason for asking is while towing in Tow Haul the up shifts are greatly delayed causing the engine to over rev for the load. I would like to be able to lock the converter while in 3rd. and traveling at speeds below 55 mph.

semmens21

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i would think maybe an sct with custom tunes may allow you to do this but im not sure to tell you the truth..

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told my sct with custom tunes. (innovative) will lock it in the upper gear

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the SCT x3 and I have tried it ,, but confirming Torque converter lock up is a little tricky ,, I know everyone wants a flip switch for this ,, but it seems like it isn't possible?

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
There is a option when programing a tune on the SCT to lock the TC. I tried it and it locked up in 2nd or 3rd can't remember for sure but it was harsh shifting and would feel like I was getting surge or spring wrap after every shift unless under alot of throttle. With a custum tow tune on the SCT it stays locked up if you request that. I have tow tunes from DP tuner and they work way better than tow haul.

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a custum tow tune on the SCT it stays locked up if you request that. I have tow tunes from DP tuner and they work way better than tow haul.

Tow Haul just seams to be completely wrong for towing. It keeps the trans from up shifting for a prolonged time and doesn't lock the converter until over 65 mph. In tow haul decelleration engine braking is the converter kept locked or just a unlocked trans down shift?

I am looking for a way to lock the converter in 2nd or 3rd gear while pulling a hill rather than just having the engine scream.

Cam I assume if you can do it with a scanner that it did not set a code. If that is the case I would assume it could be done with a switch like many of the older transmissions. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I know what you mean by the tow haul not doing what you want. The SCT is not a scanner it is a programer that reflashes you stock pcm with ether tunes that come with the sct or custum tunes provided by the person you bought it from or other tuners. My custum tow programs will upshift earlier and hold a gear longer without reving the motor high. When it downshifts it only drops 500 rpms or so instead of nearly 1000 like it did in stock tow haul.

MorePowerMike

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have asked this question before an had responses it could not be done but I will ask again

I would like to be able to manually lock the converter in my 2004 diesel Excursion. The responses I got said it could not be done on the 04s.

Let me amend my question. Can the 03 CPU be directly substituted for the 04 and then be able to lock the converter?

My reason for asking is while towing in Tow Haul the up shifts are greatly delayed causing the engine to over rev for the load. I would like to be able to lock the converter while in 3rd. and traveling at speeds below 55 mph.

The SCT being referred to is a Flash Programmer. It is a re-calibration tool that re-writes the computer of the truck. It can reprogram for tons of different goals. Towing power or a better shift schedule as desired here, max power for racing or having fun, and or fuel economy.

The SCT programmers also have the ability to read and clear DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) so I guess it could be called a scanner. Then there is also the ability to data log and monitor the vehicle..

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14