more exhaust questions

Strokin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 6.0 that I am thinking about putting an exhaust on...currently I have the muffler delete, and other than that the truck is stock...What kind of gains sound/performance wise would an aftermarket exhaust kit give me?? Truck will stay mostly stock except and exhaust, and pillar gauges...I plow with it in the winter, and tow my car with it a few times over the summer..Is it beneficial?? I was looking at the MBRP T-409 cat back..Or should I just delete the CAT with a cat test pipe??? .All help is appreciated,
Mike

Shiftin 6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just curious, how did you eliminate your muffler and how does it sound compared to stock at idle and on the throttle, from inside the cab and outside?

I am thinking of doing the same thing and my truck is pretty much stock as well. I was told it would be a good idea to keep the cat and just eliminate the muffler, this way i wouldnt loose any backpressure. Ever heard of that?

Strokin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have hard of that but don't know how true it is since alot of people run turbo back straight pipes....but the muffler delete sounds good, kind of sounds like a plane at idle, and is a little louder than stock!! I like it to be honest with you and I believe it only cost me like 40 bucks for the muffler test pipe which is the muffler delete pipe! Thats why I was questioning doing a cat back or eliminating the cat...If the truck is staying stock, only gauges and maybe exhaust should I do it??..Let me know how it goes or if you need anything else!

Shiftin 6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the info. Where would i be able to find a muffler delete pipe, And how was the install? Im assuming you had to cut out the muffler and clamp or weld in the delete pipe? I was thinking of just removing the full exhaust from the cat back and just clamping a turndown behind the cat, but i was told that the exhaust smoke woul dirty up the undercarriage.

As far as spending $$ on an aftermarket exhaust system, i dont see there being very much power benifit at all if you are going to keep the cat in place because that is going to defeate the purpose as far as being restrictive. If your going to purchase an exhaust to gain power instead of sound than i would definately delete the cat. Only problem is loosing backpressure which is supposed to make the turbo act up and in turn could actually slow you down. Just my .02

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be careful deleteing the cat due to the new emmisions coming out in 07-08 or else just hold onto it incase you might need it later. Personally if you go with a aftermarket kit you can get a bigger downpipe and full 5" pipe out to the tailpipe. Thus creating less heat, more flow, and lower egts. On these like MBRP and Magnaflow you can use a muffler delete pipe that is inclueded. Therefore you can have a full 5" straight through exhaust system. Personally the Magnaflow is the way to go.

Strokin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys..I dont know I may just save the money!! hahaha I guess I am cheap....LOL Shiftin 6.0 pm sent

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shiftin 6.0 said:
As far as spending $$ on an aftermarket exhaust system, i dont see there being very much power benifit at all if you are going to keep the cat in place because that is going to defeate the purpose as far as being restrictive. If your going to purchase an exhaust to gain power instead of sound than i would definately delete the cat. Only problem is loosing backpressure which is supposed to make the turbo act up and in turn could actually slow you down. Just my .02

Back pressure will actually slow your turbo down and create less boost. With a diesel, you want less backpressure. My 7.3 runs a lot better with 3.5" downpipe into a 4" straight pipe than it did with the muffler in place (truck never had a cat).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14