Need for gauges

BubbaMalone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
For a 2004, 6.0, I put a Superchips MicroMax 1704A tuner on it. I do NOT tow ever. Just around town driving. I found that I get the best fuel mileage on the Performance or High setting. Without towing, am I safe running without gauges?

If not, what gauges do I need? What is the max EGT and Boost that they need to cover?

jwoodard

2004 F250 SD HD
Reaction score
You will probably receive different responses, but I believe you are better off with gauges, regardless of how you are going to drive your truck.
I have and Edge Insight monitor which provides lots of options on what you monitor and how many gauges or parameters you want to display and monitor at one time. I like the the custom display option with Four Function Digital Display, but you can select up to a Seven Function Display if you like.
If you go to a digital type display, then you don't have to be concerned with the maximum reading for EGT or Boost as it will read the actual, whatever it is. Hope this helps a little.;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a 2004, 6.0, I put a Superchips MicroMax 1704A tuner on it. I do NOT tow ever. Just around town driving. I found that I get the best fuel mileage on the Performance or High setting. Without towing, am I safe running without gauges?

If not, what gauges do I need? What is the max EGT and Boost that they need to cover?

My .03 would be.. YES you need gauges. I've allawys been suprized that the Big 3 havent made them Standard Equipment on a Diesel powered... anything. At least an EGT. EGT & Boost would be better. Yul learn where yer limits are. Yul be surprized at what they'll show you.

OBTW WELCOME TO SDD ;tu

On Edit ? Now that I think about it ? I'd remove the Chip til' you get an EGT guage.

Last edited:

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I'd say that you should have gauges. You may not tow now, but if the need ever arrises, you'll want good gauges. Boost, EGT and Tranny are the most common 3 on the A-pillar. If you're using mechanical, or dial type gauge get a quality set. Isspro Di-procol, and autometer are probably the best 3. Welcome to SDD

BubbaMalone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm getting gauges if I am going to enjoy the programmer without worry. So far I've been affraid.

Can you suggest a digital setup?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm getting gauges if I am going to enjoy the programmer without worry. So far I've been affraid.

Can you suggest a digital setup?

Most of the SDD site sponsors have a good assortment of stiles and brands, the ones MBRPC mentioned are all reputable companies.

I have a 4 gauge (mechanical/analog), "A" pillar set-up by Di-procal that have served me well :dunno

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I have autometer Z series 3 gauge set up.. it was a pretty easy install.. everything came with the package and the instructions were pretty clear. Good luck with everything...

Michael

Gauge Guy
Reaction score
On my OBS 7.3L I put gauges in before I started mods, and I was amazed that I could get the EGTs into the danger zone. Granted, it was towing, but I was still surprised enough that I would put a pyrometer on any diesel I planned to run. I obviously have a dog in the fight (see my signature), but I'm partial to ISSPRO. I run the Performax series in my truck, and the EV² series in my Jetta.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14