Need to replace wheel bearing

BBT

only an egg
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to an article or wiki on replacing the front wheel bearings? Never done it before. Special tools needed? Other parts to check or replace while it’s open?

Thanks
BBT

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Depends on which wheel bearing it is. Some special tools needed for both the front and rear, just not the same tools. give us a little more info, why do you need to change it? :dunno

BBT

only an egg
Reaction score
Noise, a rhythmic grind coming from the front left. Most noticeable when I let off the pedal and coast, can’t hear it too well when it’s rev’d up, though I can feel it through the bottoms of my feet. First noticed about 100-150 miles ago. I want to get it fixed tomorrow.
D-60 with manual hubs.

Thanks,
BBT

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only special tool you'll need is a 4wd retaining bolt socket. Tell the guy at any parts store that you need the tool to remove the bearing retaining nut. it will be either a 4 or 6 pronged socket that is around 1 3/4" diameter according to pirate it is Napa #775-9025

Autozone & the like usually have it as a loan a tool. Make sure that you replace the races while you're doing the bearing replacement.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the inner needle bearings inside the spindle as well, the axle shaft spins on these in 4wheel drive, if you in that far to do wheel bearings, you would be time and money ahead to at least check them and the axle u-joints as well. Most of the time the needle bearings only need to be regreased. A spindle puller makes this job a snap if one is available, but it can be done by whacking the spindle with a rubber dead blow hammer to free it up from the knuckle also. Imo ;tu

pjwoolw

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
If you have the automatic locking hubs it's completely different. If somebody doesn't come up with a how to ALLdata is an option for some good info at a reasonable price.

Bigrigr has the right idea. Replace as much as you can while your there. Pivot bushings will be a snap while it's apart. In fact check all the spring bushings too.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Another thought, Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that the dana's had the two wheel bearing nuts w/lock ring? if so you have to be really careful about putting the nuts/lockring back together on reassembly, or your wheel bearing won't stay tight.:eek:

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
Another thought, Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that the dana's had the two wheel bearing nuts w/lock ring? if so you have to be really careful about putting the nuts/lockring back together on reassembly, or your wheel bearing won't stay tight.:eek:

+2^^
Ken

BBT

only an egg
Reaction score
Thanks to all.
Got it done and it’s running quiet and smooth again.
Went to NAPA to get the parts and ended up having to buy the hub nut socket, couldn’t find a rental anywhere. It was $52! Oh well, at least I have for the next time.

BBT

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl