new fangled heaters

woofer700

Diesel is cool
Reaction score
we have been looking at those infrared heaters the last couple weeks. Edenpure, and Sun Heat. does anyone have any experence with them? Do they really work for saving money? Any help?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You can't "save money" with an electrical heater. Making heat by using electricity is not the most efficient way. If that is all you can use, go ahead and use it.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't "save money" with an electrical heater. Making heat by using electricity is not the most efficient way. If that is all you can use, go ahead and use it.

Dave

What Dave sez.

It's the Wattage (=Amps) that gits ya. ANY electric heater that will come anywhere Close to heating an average size room will need to be at least 1500 watts, on 115/120 volts.

A good "Real Time" test would be to plug in yer Toaster, Turn on the Microwave and the Coffee pot... go watch yer electric meter spin-up. Guestamate those RPMs by the number of heaters you think you may need.. 24/7 ?

Ya can't/won't save ANY home heating costs with electricity.

But.... Not knowing yer situation there Woolfer... The Radiant/Infrared type heaters Do in-fact put out some good effective heat. I have one in my RV.. (but then I'm not paying the electric bill at the RV park/Campground ;):sly)

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will buck the trend and say that yes you can save money with an electric heater but it all depends on use.

If you are simply heating a single room instead of a whole house then you'll save money regardless of how the whole house is heated.

A prime example here is using a small heater in a bathroom to heat the bathroom so that it is a comfortable temperature for bathing instead of heating the whole house.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I'm with Brandon on this, zonal heating with electric can be very economical if used properly.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will buck the trend and say that yes you can save money with an electric heater but it all depends on use.

If you are simply heating a single room instead of a whole house then you'll save money regardless of how the whole house is heated.

A prime example here is using a small heater in a bathroom to heat the bathroom so that it is a comfortable temperature for bathing instead of heating the whole house.

I'm with Brandon on this, zonal heating with electric can be very economical if used properly.

I would agree with Brandon & Mike also. If yer guna augment some sort of non-electric heat.. in like 1 room that seems to be cooler than others.. an electric space heater would work. >But watch the On time<.

I used a Coil element w/Fan type heater, set on Low, to keep my 5r just above freezing while not in use a couple years back. Power bill went up 80'ish dollars, in one month.

Not fer me.

On Edit ? And back to woofers Question ???:lmao:lmao

We have a Infered Heater in the 5r.. It works Very well, just be carfull of the distance from combustables and where it's pointed. We have ours directed into an open room, with nothing around or near it. I would say it does a better job of heating than any of the other electric heaters we've had..:dunno

Last edited:

woofer700

Diesel is cool
Reaction score
thanks for the help gentelmen, I'm still undecieded on this. we have friends who use these type of heaters to heat there whole house, but they use propane, which is very high. Said friends save 250 per month. another friend just bought two of them, and the jury is still out on if its helping them or not. my wife and i heat with natural gas, and figuring out our cost per day, between gas and electric, i just wonder if it would help or not. Our current figures say, if we could use the gas as a back up and use the other heater as the main source of heat we would save 1.00 per day. not much if the manufactures numbers are true. At 397.00 and 450 for either unit, thats alot of money. Both manufactures say their unit will heat the whole house, just seems unreal to me.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say that it would also depend on current electricity/Ngas and propane rates in the area of the country your in. Here in California, EVERYTHING is high.

Try and conserve ? To save a few bucks ? They simply....... raise the rates or price.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Natural gas is a better deal for heating. Compare your rates before and after. Big Joe is right, everything here is higher than else where.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14