New Glow Plug Relay

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get da Beast started and the temp was about 20*F. Not all that cold where it shouldn't start. I put a new set of glow plugs in about 3 or 4 years ago, and the miles I've been putting on it that last few years has been rather light. So I'm hesitant to think it might have been the glow plugs.

The glow plug relay though, was the OEM one and about 12 years old. I decided to play a hunch and go for a new one. I ordered a White-Rodgers/Stancor 586-902 relay and just finished putting it in. The White-Rodgers/ Stancor unit is much heavier duty than the OEM, having a 200amp continuous rating. IIRC the OEM relay was rated for something like 100amps.

The install wasn't that bad. The biggest hurdles were related to a bracket for my BD exhaust brake system. Since most folks don't have one of them, the install would be rather a straight up affair.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I had to replace the GPR on mine about three weeks ago.. wouldn't start when I went to leave work, damn near ground the batteries dead trying to convince it..

tried to change it in the parking lot, but a cable end was rotted off and that ended that..

grabbed both jump boxes.. put on across the glow plugs and the other on the right side battery to get it inside a bay...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Mine hasnt gone south............yet but when it does I will get the stancor. Sounds too good to pass up. Bigger is always better!

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
Stancor is a great replacement part. The didn't like the cable sat on the relay. Easy fix with a couple of 3/8" spacers to give the relay a little lift..;tu

Bajascoob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gpr

A couple of weeks ago, I couldn't get da Beast started and the temp was about 20*F. Not all that cold where it shouldn't start. I put a new set of glow plugs in about 3 or 4 years ago, and the miles I've been putting on it that last few years has been rather light. So I'm hesitant to think it might have been the glow plugs.

The glow plug relay though, was the OEM one and about 12 years old. I decided to play a hunch and go for a new one. I ordered a White-Rodgers/Stancor 586-902 relay and just finished putting it in. The White-Rodgers/ Stancor unit is much heavier duty than the OEM, having a 200amp continuous rating. IIRC the OEM relay was rated for something like 100amps.

The install wasn't that bad. The biggest hurdles were related to a bracket for my BD exhaust brake system. Since most folks don't have one of them, the install would be rather a straight up affair.

Where did you order the GPR from?
C'est La Vie

rocketdog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought this one 2 weeks ago at newwark.com shipped to Cincinnati.

Line No:
1 Stock No:
35M1913 Manufacturer Part No:
586-902 UOM
Each 1 Quantity Invoiced:
1 Price:
$51.98 Extended Price:
$51.98
Customer Part Number:
Description: CONTACTOR, SPST-NO, 12VDC, 200A, BRACKET; Operating Voltage:12VDC; Load Current Inductive:200A; No. of Poles:1; Contact Configuration:SPST-NO; Relay Mounting:Bracket; Coil Voltage VDC Nom:12V; Coil Resistance : 21ohm; Coil Type : DC

Your Merchandise Total $51.98
Your Freight Total $7.09
Your Tax Total $3.55
Your Invoice Total $62.62
Sale in USD

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
misc-jackie-chan-l.png

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Where did you order the GPR from?
C'est La Vie

Don't remember exactly since it was last winter. But if you do a Google search for a White-Rodgers/Stancor 586-902 contactor/relay it'll show several results of different places and their prices.

Don't forget about E-Bay.

Bajascoob

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gpr

Thanks I'll check it out. Mine has being doing the should start easier deal too. Also a leak just appeared coming off the flywheel housing, not oil. I suspect the Diesel pump, to cold out to mess with it right now.

Have you found the Gunner Facebook page?
Scoob
Gunner/Radio Op

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14