New in this forum

pnyglfr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Since we will be using my new truck this weekend to pull my 26 foot travel trailer. What setting did you guys use for your brake control. The guy in the trailer shop set mine to 5.5. but some people on the RVforums have told me to set it to as using more of the trailer brakes than my truck.

Is this true?

Thank you

Roger

Pnyglfr

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since we will be using my new truck this weekend to pull my 26 foot travel trailer. What setting did you guys use for your brake control. The guy in the trailer shop set mine to 5.5. but some people on the RVforums have told me to set it to as using more of the trailer brakes than my truck.

Is this true? >>[IMO ? NO.]<<

Thank you

Roger

Pnyglfr

With YOUR truck and trailer.. loaded with fuel, family and ALL the gear and supplies you carry... try 5.5.. then adjust the trailer brake input so that the trailer >>HELPS<< the Whole combination slowdown, or stop... in unison.

Your foot, and your truck need to be in control.. with your trailer >>helping<< your foot and your truck.

Too much trailer brake input can/will cause things to get REAL squirlly.. REAL quick.. especially on wet, snowy or gravel roads.

Joe

That input can change... as your trailer brakes wear.. the load varies, winter/summer weather.. and the like ?

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your truck have the factory brake controller on it? If so it will take you a few miles to know where to set it. You will fall in love with the controller and, Tow Haul when going down a big hill, when it all starts working together. Don't get a speeding ticket the first thing because you forgot you were pulling
a RV behind you.
Doug

pnyglfr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
We left for our vacation and headed to Grand Canyon from San Diego. I love this truck, It didn't have any issue pulling my trailer with full of water and other stuff. Went up to Barstow and Needles with no issue going up the grade. So far, I love this truck.

Pnyglfr

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441146860.468606.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441146860.468606.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 17

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks great! If you pulled everyday you might want to look into Air Bags for the rear suspension. You can air them up, when you are pulling, and they will level your truck. ;tu

Dave

01yellerCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I need to read more threads. I didn't realize we have another San Diegan on the board.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am an old fart and we forget. I did not see your screen name in the post, so YES I did forget I had welcomed you in another post. Not a lot happens here, or any other forums I belong to, so I don't remember.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58