Newbie from central Florida

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking in the background trying to learn about diesels and my 1997 Superduty Power Stroke Turbo in particular.

We use this truck to pull our 300 Sundancer and I would like to make some improvements in performance as well as try to improve mileage.

Truck has the 7.3 with a 5 speed manual tranny, 5.13 rear end and a 15,000#GVW rating.

Just turned 59,000 coming back from Homestead pulling the boat.
Hopefully I won't ask too many really dumb questions.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!!! I'll bet when you're pulling the boat, people are watching and saying, "Look at that big boat pushing that truck down the road!!!" :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big boat, Nice truck and Welcome ;tu

Any Mods to date ? If not..... A set of gauges.. EGT and Boost should be FIRST. Then open up the the Intake, for more air In.. then a 4+" exhaust, to let it Out... for starters.

In that order, IMO.

Joe

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com. Wow, that truck is like a new one. We don't have any dumb questions here, well maybe there has been one or two, but ask away.

JR Sparky

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Planned upgrades

Big boat, Nice truck and Welcome ;tu

Any Mods to date ? If not..... A set of gauges.. EGT and Boost should be FIRST. Then open up the the Intake, for more air In.. then a 4+" exhaust, to let it Out... for starters.

In that order, IMO.

Joe

I have added a cruise control (OEM type) and have ordered a new WIX air filter and will fabricate its installation.
Have a 6 position chip from Advance Diesel Performance on the way but will wait on installing it for a 3" downtube and 4" exhaust. Looking for a fab shop around Leesburg for this installation.
Still need to buy gauges.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have added a cruise control (OEM type) and have ordered a new WIX air filter and will fabricate its installation.
Have a 6 position chip from Advance Diesel Performance on the way but will wait on installing it for a 3" downtube and 4" exhaust. Looking for a fab shop around Leesburg for this installation.
Still need to buy gauges.

;tu

Sounds like yer going at this with some good Planning.

As most all of us here at SDD would agree.. Before you do any performance related Mods, the ability to monitor EGT & Boost.. should be FIRST on the list...

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with Big Joe on the gauges. Get a set of mechanical gauges first and then go for the mods. I would get the gauges even if your programmer has digital gauges. Digital will f**k up on you, just like your computer.

Dave :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14