Newbie here, need opinions on my engine troubles

LeeParsons

High tech redneck
Reaction score
Welcome Capricious,
Your SMCT 1700 should read the codes, Mine does.

From what you have described I would be looking really close at the fuel system. I ran mine out of fuel a few months ago and it took about 100 miles and 2 fuel filters to get the old girl runing right again. Once air is introduced to the fuel system it takes forever to get it worked out through the injectors.

You need to check the fuel pump a also, it should have at least 60 psi out of the pump, I went through that about a month ago on the side of the road in Little Rock in 35 degree weather.

One other thing that has recently happened to mine and it drive me crazy (it was a short trip though), I would loose power at random times and sometimes get a miss. Well she finnaly quit in WY and we found one of the big fuses under the hood had blow. The fues spades and sockets were corroded and causing problems. Cleaned 'em up and coated with dylectric grease and no more problems.

Good luck,
Lee

Capricious

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys! I just bought an Edge Evolution programmer and I should have it tomorrow. I will pull codes and post them up so I con get a direction where to go next. What is this harness located in the valve cover? It's for the injectors? So then there is one on each side. Do they both burn up? Where would I get a new one? What's the best fuel filter other than stock? Thanks guys

Bobby

bonestroker

stroke it if you got it
Reaction score
Welcome capricious I'm going with 95 Stroker had the same prob with my 99 about a moth ago pulled the drivers cover and the harness was half unpluged.:cussing: plugged it back in light went out and my baby strated running fine:thumbs

Capricious

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah the funny thing though is that my Ex runs perfect up until it gets to operating temp. That's when it starts acting up. If a harness was unplugged it would act up from the get go. I'm still going to give those a look over though.

Bobby

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I think you're gonna dig the Evolution programmer performance options besides the code reader feature:sweet

I'm not sure if the EVO comes with the code sheet but we have the complete list here on SuperDutyDiesel:tu:

Bill

Capricious

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got codes, let's get this monster running again!

Hey guys, I finally got my programmer and pulled the codes. Here they are, give me some direction on what to do first.

Thanks,
Bobby

P1000- OBD II more driving needed.

P0470-Exhaust back pressure sensor circuit malfunction.

P0478-Exhaust pressure control valve high input.

P0603-PCM processor keep alive memory (KAM) error.

P0676-Glow plug #6 circuit failure

P1316-Injector circuit/IDM codes detected

screamin' 85 z

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is having a similar problem with his 99.. I'm anxious to see what you guys think the problem is

TTT

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The P0603 PCM keep alive memory is a common code and is fancy talk for the battery has been disconnected. P0676 is one I have seen on many trucks. I think this is a bum code. Too many trucks have #6 glow plug fail. P1000 means nothing.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14