Now thats a Load

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I never have any useful tech info to put out there for people but I thought this was sorta interesting.

I a bought step van (10,000lbs) for a cummins 4bt that I am swaping into my 56 Ford. I towed it home about 150 miles and the truck did pretty well. I was running 100% WVO the entire trip so I can't document fuel mileage but I think it did decent considering.

It would pull 50 MPH like it was no thing, it would pull 55 with a lot of work, and at 60 You were dreaming. It just could not do it. Not so much the wieght but the Wind Resistance was out of hand. I am guessing the computer defuels at 1070 degrees F as I could not get it above that no matter how hard I tried up a hill. I was wondering what other people are reading on a stock computer at maxed out. My Tranny temp gauge has never worked so I couldn't get a good measure on that but with all the tranny coolers I was not worried.

I have needed brakes for awhile but this was the last whooraah for it. Even with trailer brakes it took a LOOOOOONG time to stop.

Ohh and that winch finally came in handy.
Another great tow with a great rig.

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
sweet!

the computer cant defuel based on egt, we dont have pyros from the factory. i would say that the engine didnt think it really needed to work that hard to tow a cummins :)

55 is good enough with 10k on a bumper pull...that could get silly quick!

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet!

the computer cant defuel based on egt, we dont have pyros from the factory. i would say that the engine didnt think it really needed to work that hard to tow a cummins :)

55 is good enough with 10k on a bumper pull...that could get silly quick!

Haha,

That is pretty funny. But it was a 4 cyl so not even in the same league. It is going in another Ford...one much older so it better have some respect :).

As far as the 55+ I agree with you. I drove about 50-55 the whole way home. Mosty 50 until someone behind me got ticked off and I would pick it up to 55 until I could let them pass.

Good point about the EGTs and no gauge. Still wondering how hot other people can get without an intercooler and stock. It may have been 1170. Now I can't remember. Eitherway I think the PSD enjoyed the workout and I have her some fresh oil when it was all said and done as she deserved it.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job glad to see ya pullin some weight. 55 is a good speed with that top heavy thing behind you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14