Oil Choice Question

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a question regarding the brand of oil I am running in my 2002 F350 7.3
4x4. I have been running the Rotella T 15w40 for a few years now with the MC #1995 oil filter, no complaints. I know there may be better oils out there, but for the cost, I think the Rotella T 15w40 is a good choice. What do you guys like to run in your 7.3's?

Thanks
bot

Zilla 58

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Rotella T 15w40

In my 02 7.3 I used Rotella T 15w40 changed it every 5,000 miles. The truck never had an oil related issue. I ran that truck 410,000 miles towing 90% of the time.
The truck is still running and has 430,000 miles on it now.
All I can say is "If it works, Don't fix it"
Zilla

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zilla,

I agree with the saying also, no question about that. My 2002 seems to like the Rotella 15w40, I don't plan on changing to something else. My truck has just a little over 71,000 right now, daily driver. You have a good amont of milage on your truck. Does your truck use any oil between the 5,000 mark? What brand of filter are you using?

Thanks
bot:sweet

Zilla 58

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oil Change answer

Bot

I sold my 02 and bought an 06 6.0 in February 2006. I sold the 02 to the Ford mechanic that had been working on it for all of the 410,00 miles. He still has it and still runs good. The 7.3 and the auto trans have never been apart for any repairs. I wish I could say the same for my 6.0. The 02 always used the first quart of oil right away. With in 500 miles it was 1 quart low and stayed there never useing any more during the 5,000 miles between oil changes.
As far as filters, most were Ford or Wix filters. There were also oil changes done at "drive by" oil change shops, so your never really sure what kind of filters they use.
My 6.0 I am using 10w30 Ford Diesel oil year round and changing it at 7,500 miles and using the stock Ford oil filter.
I run a lot of miles as this truck is my business and even changing oil at 7,500 miles is on average once a month.
Hope this helps you and answers your question.
Zilla

[My 7.3 ran better and got better fuel millage after it turned 100,000 miles so keep driving yours and soon you will have it broken in!]

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zilla,

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like your 7.3 was good to you. I also use the stock MC oil filter which I have heard is hard to bet for the money. I am happy with my 02.

BOT;tu

overworkedunderpaid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Amsoil for me. Bumper to bumper. 168k and ticking.

Got an 04 for work and the shop put Rotella 15/40 in it this last time with a Wix filter. Mileage dropped considerably and it was set to be back in for an oil change in 3,000 miles (which in this case was a week later). I run 12K on Amsoil with their filters pulling a small 3,000lb trailer all over the place. I have a 100 gal tank in the back and the regular side tank. Typically I can run 16-1800 miles on a fill (depending on weather/terrain/etc.) and I filled up twice after that oil change and couldn't get better than 1200 miles. Needless to say we went back to Amsoil Heavy Duty Diesel 5/30, so far I've got 1400 miles on the clock and still have a full side tank left.

Synthetic is the way to go. IMO!!!;tu

snakyjake

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a comparison of the top 5:

Schaeffer 9000 5w-40 (molybdenum, don't know TBN)
Amsoil AME 15w-40 (high TBN, no molybdenum)
Amsoil DEO 5w-40
Chevron Delo 400 (I heard may have molybdenum, I have no proof from Chevron)
Shell Rotella

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Delo 400

I have been using Delo 400 in my 7.3 OBS ever since I bought it. I have put over 160K since I bought it with 210K on it. I have recently started adding one or two quarts of Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilzer in with Delo and have my latest Blakstone below to show the results. I have been toold with as many miles that I have on my older truck that running synthetic alone could cause some problems. Supposedly there is something to do with the amount of detergents and old gaskets but I don't know about that. Take a look at my Blackstone. I have been told not to switch oils a lot though. So if I were you, I would probably run the Rotella with a qt or two of the Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer and see what you think. If you don't like the results or cost then just go bakc to using pure Rotella.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running RP synthetic in mine and I love it. Picked up a little extra mileage also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl