oil consumption ????

dante59

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, i was surprised when i ck my oil and it was 2qts down have 1600 mile from last oil change:eek: did send oil sample to Blackstone and that report was good for the mile i have on it (141.000) this can't be norm, can it??? :dunno wife's van has 171.000 and the no oil added until the 3-4 thousand change.. thanks dante59.

Last edited:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
dante59 said:
I'm just curious, i was surprised when i ck my oil and it was 2qts down have 1600 mile from last oil change:eek: did send oil sample to Blackstone and that report was good for the mile i have on it (141.000) this can't be norm, can it??? :dunno wife's van has 171.000 and the no oil added until the 3-4 thousand change.. thanks dante59.
A couple things could be happening here.

First, these trucks have all sorts of nooks and crannies to lose oil in. HPOP, oil rails, sumps, etc. When I first park my truck, it shows two quarts low for a good while until all the oil drains back down. The other thing is that the oil filter is like two quarts, and sometimes you'll fill it to the full line, start it back up, and be two quarts low almost instantly.

Also, my truck likes being a quart low for some reason. I'll lose a quart in 1,000 miles, then won't lose anymore for the remainder of my 5,000 mile interval. I think it is blowing out the CCV or something. I know this is not uncommon on 7.3's, I've had a bunch of other guys chime in and say the same thing.

With 141,000 miles on the truck, I would not expect it to be USING 2 quarts in 1600 miles, but it may not be. Keep checking it and keep driving it and see if it happens again...

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same deal here with the drainback time. I've gotten to where I never check my oil level except in the morning, after it's sat overnight. Only takes it about 20-30 minutes to drain back to the pan after shutdown, but I don't have that wait time to spare when I'm fueling up.

Another thing about my truck. Before I got it, it had never done any serious highway/interstate mileage....previous owner had never done over 100 miles between shutdowns. It was his daily driver and never hauled anything other than some construction materials in the bed and pulling a 3700 lb pontoon boat. It was that way for 76K miles. And, between the time I purchased it and first service, it lost 5 qts somewhere.

After putting it on the highway with a 7500 lb car hauler for 12K miles it was down 2 qts at next two services. I'm now a couple of hundred miles shy of the next service and the level's still in the hash marks.

I'm thinking the way the truck's used has a good bit to do with oil consumption. I know mine would rather be on the road pulling a load than grocery getting where oil usage is concerned.

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
My truck usually doesn't lose more than a quart over the 5000mile interval. I typically check it once a week or so.

dante59

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input, i put the the 2qts in and that put it just about to the top of the grid. we hooked up the tt and camped down by MT-HOOD OR. all and all we drove about 6 hundred miles + or -..oil is still near the top ,, i'll keep me eye on it WHO KNOW ??????? thanks again. dante59 (rich)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14