Oil Filter (Fill or Not To Fill?)

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was on another diesel website and was reading about Filling/ Not Filling Oil Filter During Oil Change. I have always filled my oil filter before installing the oil filter when changing oil. I was surprised to see many do not, am I wrong to do this?

bot:dunno

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Oil Fill......

Don't fill the large port with the threads only fill the surrounding smaller holes where the oil will be filtered prior to starting the engine. Dirty oil enters the large port and then is returned filtered.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Depends

Untill you can't pour anymore. the weight of the oil will force it's way through the filter media and fill the center chamber also but it's time consuming, I get about 2 quarts in mine before i thread it on and run the truck. All depends on the brand of filter, I use Fleetgaurd. ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JMO but.. we're not WRONG.. or.. RIGHT, by pre-filling any filters. My question has always simply been: WHY NOT :dunno

It ain't no Big Deal to pre-charge a filter, and it prevents a Slug of air from being pushed/sucked through whatever system needs filtering.

Seems like the right thing to do. I've always have pre-charged filters... prolly Always will.

To Each his Own, I guess ?

Joe

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I strongly believe in charging the filter . As far as where you pour it in I don't know why it matters (not debating just have cut apart a lot of filter and don't see the difference if you have a new filter and oil). I have always filled it through the large hole and continued to do so until it is completely full . I was told by Roger at Cams in Canton Ohio this is the best way to do it . He builds some serious race motors for people all over the country and I trust him completely . Either way I say charge it .

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On filters that will keep the oil in while installing the filter, I precharge the filter the others I don't. ( Horizontal Filters)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
fill the filter.

doesn't matter if you fill it through the center hole or the small holes.. fill through both if you want.. the filter holds 2 quarts either way.

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with JL and Bad Night, I have always poured about 2 quarts through the large threaded hole in the oil filter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigtruk