Help Needed Oil Leak

JRJ04

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a small oil leak that has been around, but just got pushed to the back burner when the injectors went south. I cannot for the life of me pinpoint where its coming from. There does not appear to be any oil in the valley.

It ends up dripping on the bottom of the starter and then onto the transmission cooler lines. Its coming from above but I dont know where? I noticed it start when I got the dp tuner. Coincidence probably? I've also checked my HPX line and it appears to be good.

Could this just be blowby from the higher boost? Rear main? (God I hope not!!!) Your thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

dpantazis

Reaction score
j:

did you screw the wastegate rod back to where it belongs? that was you wasn't it?

other places to look- turbo orings, EBPV, any connector with an o ring seal, trans pan bolts

surest fire way is to clean the engine real good and then ad the UV dye to the oil and then use a black light to find the source. not expensive, takes a little while. search here on the forums, there have been a few threads on doing this.

dp

ps: PLAY THE FREAKING LOTTO!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
j:

did you screw the wastegate rod back to where it belongs? that was you wasn't it?

other places to look- turbo orings, EBPV, any connector with an o ring seal, trans pan bolts

surest fire way is to clean the engine real good and then ad the UV dye to the oil and then use a black light to find the source. not expensive, takes a little while. search here on the forums, there have been a few threads on doing this.

dp

ps: PLAY THE FREAKING LOTTO!

What Dave & Dennis sez ;tu

AND...... You've had the HX line on there for a bunch of Warm-ups, Cool-downs by now... Give all 4 fittings JUST A VERY SLIGHT TWEAK.

You said the HX line APPEARS to be good but.. as yer running down the road, going thru whined-ups yer pushing some purdy good psi thru that line. A drop or 10 of oil may drip.. thru capillary action* and gravity it will seep down the V between the oil rail & head, down across the valley (maybe), down off the starter and most times... drips off of the bell housing.

It may APPEAR good, by the time you get to looking for oil, from the top, under the hood.. it's gone.

Joe

* Capillary Action: The Grunge.. on and around yer engine.. in places you can't get to... acts like a Quicker Picker Up'er paper towel and actually Draws or Sops up Oil (and fuel).... Thats why & how.. It leaks over here... but drips over there. And Gravity.

Ole' Guy Stuff ? :D:sly;)

Last edited:

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might check the oil rail gallery plugs on the back of the top of the engine. Might be seeping. A leak here would typically run down the back of the engine from the top but no sign in the valley.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
FWIW: Check your valve cover (vc) bolts. I once had a leak around the starter area. I checked the vc bolts and founds a couple along the bottom edge of the right side that were loose. They're a bit of a PITA to get to, the easiest way being thru the front right wheel well.

JRJ04

Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys.

dp - i have never touched the wastegate on the turbo. I did pick up some scratch offs last night and won 10 bucks!

joe - ill have a look at that hpx line, but wouldnt i be seeing a trail of oil running down the back of the engine?

randy - where exactly are those oil galley plugs at? best way to get to them?

tg - i had this leak before the injectors went south and the valve covers had never been touched before then but ill see if i can fit my way under there to check.

how would i know if its turbo pedistal o - rings? hpop o rings i would think id be able to tell, and from what i can see on the front of the motor...theres nothing.

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil gallery plugs are on the back topside of the engine. You can't see them but can feel them with your hands. They are a large (like 1 -1/2" across) and have a square 3/8" or 1/2" drive recess in the middle of them.

There is one on each side of the back of the engine (on top) and I think there are two in the front of the oil gallery as well. You have to feel for them as they are in a tight spot. You don't have to remove the covers. Just look for what looks like a round casting just inside the valley on each side at the back next to the valve covers. Put your hand back there and you'll feel the square drive recess.

If it turns out to be one of these plugs I was told I needed to buy the plug with the o-ring as the design had changed to improve the seal so a new seal wouldn't fit the original plug. Only cost $7 from the dealer. Good luck!

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
well a little update for you all...

I crawled under there today and looked and there wasnt any oil dripping down (I cleaned it up yesterday). Upon further investigation, it have oil all around the valve cover where it bolts to the heads. Maybe just a bad valve cover gasket?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14