Oil Question Again....

Longcut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know from previous posts im going to open up a can of worms here but,

I just bought my 6.0 SD a few months ago and i am ready for another oil change. I live in the mid-west so it gets purty cold in the winter. I see that no one has brought up 10W-30, i was told by a Ford dealer that i should use it for weather below 32deg. I cant afford to fork out the money for Syn. oil and have always used motorcraft oil in my fords. Im sticking to 5K OCI, and have 115K on the truck.

Whats everyones opinion on cold weather oil weights?:hmm

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know from previous posts im going to open up a can of worms here but,

I just bought my 6.0 SD a few months ago and i am ready for another oil change. I live in the mid-west so it gets purty cold in the winter. I see that no one has brought up 10W-30, i was told by a Ford dealer that i should use it for weather below 32deg. I cant afford to fork out the money for Syn. oil and have always used motorcraft oil in my fords. Im sticking to 5K OCI, and have 115K on the truck.

Whats everyones opinion on cold weather oil weights?:hmm

15W-40 Dino... Or 5W-40 Syn, Plug it in when temps are guna be under 35/40*, yul be Good To go. Brands ? I wouldn't touch that .. No way, No How ;):lmao

:dunno I use Rotella T full synthetic.

Joe

Last edited:

Longcut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Reply. Is 15W-40 Dino available in any parts store?

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cold weather oil

Do yourself a favour and go with the synthetic 5w-40. I use Amsoil, but whatever brand ok. Your injectors are electrically controlled but hydraulically powered by High pressure engine oil. When it gets really cold, the oil will get very viscous and the injectors will not operate properly until the oil warms up. Frequently you'll get the romps on startup, or a hard or no start. It's all very hard on the engine, and all because the wrong viscosity is being used for temperature. How much does a tow cost? Extra load on the battery and starter wear?

Ford itself documented the acceleration times of the 6.0 using different oil temperatures. The colder the oil for a given viscosity results in an effective injection retardation, slowing acceleration.

The block heater certainly does work, but you can't plug in everywhere, and the bulk of the oil is in the pan - nowhere near the block heater, so if you do get a start, you then start pushing super cold thick oil through the engine.

If you need reliability in the winter - go Synthetic 5W-

Longcut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, i just came from the parts store and holy ****:eek:. I knew syn oil was expensive but i wasnt expecting $105. All they had was mobil 1. Im going to do some more looking.

Big Joe, have you had any problems with your Rotella? I was told that i shouldnt use Rotella in my 6.0 cause of some additive that is in it. I dont know if its true or not? Its considerably cheaper than other 5W- oil:sweet.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, i just came from the parts store and holy ****:eek:. I knew syn oil was expensive but i wasnt expecting $105. All they had was mobil 1. Im going to do some more looking.

Big Joe, have you had any problems with your Rotella? I was told that i shouldnt use Rotella in my 6.0 cause of some additive that is in it. I dont know if its true or not? Its considerably cheaper than other 5W- oil:sweet.

I've not had Any problems at All with the Rotella full synthetic. I get it at Wal-Mart :dunno

Just an opinion longcut but it seem there are "Urban Legends" about Doom & Gloom, of some sort.... attached to ANY Brand of oil, when it comes to Oil for a Diesel engine.

Regular oil (and filter) changes, based on miles, time (or use).. with an oil that meets or exceeds Ford/IH specs.. is the key.

Joe

SyN PSD

Lubrication Addict!
Reaction score
Longcut: I know the cost of synthetic oil is crazy right now... something I do and something ya might consider... I do not do UOA, so i'm not concerned about a mix... during the winter months I mix 2 gal Mobil Delvac 15W-40 & 1gal + 3qts of M1 TDT 5w-40... This mixing will not hurt anything. You might even do the same with the Rotella if money is an issue... My wife would blow up, if I spent over $100 on an oil change... but I normally buy a gal of Delvac ea time we groc shop at walmart, so the cost of my oil change really never seems to bother her.

But if you can afford the synthetic... Rotella 5W-40 is a great oil... I just wouldn't go past a 10K mile OCI... those 6.0L really shear and wear an oil.

Something to think about... I have read about 6.0L owners as well as 7.3L owners pouring in Rotella 10W-30 diesel Oil for the winter time. Very good dino oil... If you can find it... Makes for fast cold weather startups.

If cost is an issue right now..?. I think Im going to switch to Rotella in Dec... I change my oil once before summer and once before winter... 2gal Rotella 15W-40 & 1ga + 3qts Rotella 5W-40. It will really help with those cold winter starts.

Just something too consider.
SyN

Rotella just revamped their diesel oils, a bit more robust additive package.

Last edited:

Longcut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I bought 2 gal of Rotella 5w and 1gal plus 3qt of 15W. It was $63. Plus $19 for a motorcraft filter. Still twice the amount of 15qts of motorcraft 15w40 but i can live with it. Im going to be more prepared to buy syn oil next oil change!

Im not going to claim to know that much about oil specs but if you took 8qts of 5w40 and 8qts of 15w40 and completely mixed them wouldnt you end up with 10w40 or something as such?:dunno Wouldnt the heavier weight oil just make the lighter weight oil thicker? Vise Versa.....?:hmm

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I bought 2 gal of Rotella 5w and 1gal plus 3qt of 15W. It was $63. Plus $19 for a motorcraft filter. Still twice the amount of 15qts of motorcraft 15w40 but i can live with it. Im going to be more prepared to buy syn oil next oil change!

[Im not going to claim to know that much about oil specs but if you took 8qts of 5w40 and 8qts of 15w40 and completely mixed them wouldnt you end up with 10w40 or something as such?:dunno Wouldnt the heavier weight oil just make the lighter weight oil thicker? Vise Versa.....?:hmm]

I'm not an Oil Guru either but it doesn't really/simply work that way, when mixing Multi Grade [Weights], of oil.

Oil type, brand and weights can get to Molecular Science real quick.. It has ALL to do with the Additive Package and their lubrication capabilities, at different Temps and/or, Load demands. City, Highway, Loaded, Unloaded, Ambient outside Temps, i.e.. Winter/Summer, and the like.

If you get in to it... to deep ? It'll make yer Brain Really, REALLY tired.;):lmao

It took me Years & Years to convince myself that a Multi-Grade oil would Lube my engine(s) properly.. verses a Strait Weight.... Let alone a Synthetic (artificial:D) oil....

I'm STILL dealing with it.. when I'm grinding up a 6% hill, in 5th, @ 2400 rpm.. with the 5r in tow.. ;):lmao:lmao

Joe

SyN PSD

Lubrication Addict!
Reaction score
I've only done the mix of Delvac 15W-40 & M1 TDT 5W-40 twice...= 2 winter oil changes and with this mix in the 7.3L it starts so much better after sitting at work for 12 to 14 hours at work, during the winter months. Granted the truck is plugged in overnight when parked at home. Now realize my 7.3L has 276K miles on her so my experience might be totally different then yours. With just straight 15W-40 and 30 deg or below... and parked 12 to 14 hours outside at work... This 7.3L really acts like it has no desire to start, thats with new batteries-Glowplugs-Glowplug relay. With the addition of the 5W-40 it still struggles some, but it will fire up and stay running.

I would just run 5W-40 yr round, but! I not pouring 3gal & 3qts of this expensive stuff in my 7.3L without an oil by-pass system installed and extended OCI w/UOA's. Just Me. I Have 2 teenagers fixing to head to college, and I just can't see doing that at this time.

Longcut: I just shared my personal preference with ya... I by know means was saying it was right for you... My 7.3L just has a different additude then most.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58