ordering a transmission cooler

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHA I agree. If this little one cant handle it, I guess us southern boys will just have to go all out with the most hugest ( yes thats a word) cooler with a fan we can get our hands on. Sure beats haveing to fork over for a new tranny!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips gang! I think I'm on the right track purchasing a cooler of this size but the price of it gives it alot of value for sure;tu

I'm eyeballing a Z series autometer gauge to install prior to the cooler going in so I can get the baseline temp.
2640_d.jpg

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well I was bidding on a 6.0 cooler on ebay and the SOB outbid me at the last second!!!:rant

So its back to the drawing board. Nevrknow, how difficult was the installation of your tranny cooler? The thing thats nice about the 6.0 is that it mounts up pretty easily. Did you have to fab any brackets? How hard was that? What all did you have to remove to get to the cooler? It looks like the condensor for the A/C would need to come out. Can you do that without having to recharge the whole system?

Just thinkin this through before i dive in:D

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a 30 minute job. I just added it to the front right behind the grill ( front frame? ) and hooked into the OEM cooler. Pop off the grill, rigged up some homemade bolt brackets, then ran the old line from the OEM cooler to the new one. Ran new line from the new cooler to the metal return line. Helps to have a GF with small fingers :)

Gonna tow with it this summer and see what happens. I figured for 60 bux? I can always upgrade to the 6.0L cooler and a Tru-Cool max later If I need to.

(I'm kinda partial to cheaper fixes IF I can get the same results)

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
whatd you make your brackets out of? If I understand it right, youve now got your tranny fluid running through 2 coolers?

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Kept the old cooler and just added the new one. Had some old metal laying around, bent it up and drilled some bolt holes. Not pretty but effective.

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea thats what i thought. i wonder if home depot has metal scraps...i dont have anything like that laying around...

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything will work. I just wanted to get mine in. I didn't want anything "permanent" until i knew for sure I wouldn't be switching to bigger coolers.

JRJ04

Reaction score
well i would think if you are running 2 external coolers...you should be ok. im hoping i can find some aluminum scraps or something similar to that to fab my brackets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14