Planet Ford

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is another chapter in my saga that started with a few minor service requests at my local stealership, Planet Ford. -mad

They changed the EGR valve a couple weeks ago to remedy the surging I was experiencing. This was done at no cost to me.?? (Not clear why the engine deductible didn't apply, but I'm not going to complain) It seemed to be a resonable remedy and indeed seemed to correct the problem for about 5 days, then it started again and got worse than ever. I mean.. this thing was acting like it was posessed. Racing, bucking, surging... Just nasty. So, I took it back in and the svc advisor actually witnesed the rough idling first hand. Cutting to the chase now...

This time they said the VGT solenoid was sticking (keep in mind... I'm new to doiesel & turbo tech) and it neded to be changed. Ford diesel engine warranty applied and I pay the $100 + tax & "Shop material/environmental fee" (WTF is that?:confused:). Drove it home sems OK for now. We'll see...

BUT... Here's my question(s)... What the heck does a VGT solenoid do???:dunno Here's my irritation... I ask the Planet Ford SA, and all they do is read me what the tech typed into my bill "No codes in syst when diag. Replaced VGT solenoid. PIDS were reading 85% at idle. Installed new style updated VGT. Road tested OK at this time. Part 6F089 code 42." (OK that's not an exact quote... I had to add the punctuation so that it's somewhat undersandable.) Anyway... I get the feeling that my SA has no idea (and remember, this is not the first time) what her business is. Shouldn't they be able to answer at least what this part does and what was wrong to begin with?

Next... I'm doing as much research thru forums etc. to learn as much as possible about my "new" truck from a functional / service / mechanical perspective. Can anyone recommend a good single read/book/article for a former gasser to learn more about diesel and turbo tech?

Last... In my research I am seing alot of issues with the PSD turbo unit itself. One guy/gal here has replaced theirs at least 4 times on an '03. Is my '04 more reliable?

Sorry for the long-winded post... I'm just like that. I have alot to ask & say and don't want to shotgun it across multiple posts.

OK now.... FEED ME PLEASE!!! :hail

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VGT is what moves the vains in the turbo if you jump over to oilburners.net in the 6.0L tech section there is what is called the 6.0L Bible that will tell you about ever sensor. i will try to get the link.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.. I'll check that out. Thx.

Any comments regarding this causing the bucking and surging like I've been experiencing.

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tryed unpluging your EGR valve?? Have you had the latest flash? It disables the EBS That is what caused my Bucking. I replaced it then got the new flash one good waste of $200

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried the EGR unplug. It seemed to work at first, but didn't prove out foe me.

What does VGT stand for anyway? This thing actually has variable turbo blades or something? Is this like the yaw on a plane prop -- adjustable pitch/bite?

budtoh3zo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did u unplug it was your truck turned off? I cant rember what it stands for but on the exsust side there is like a plate that moves back and forth and lets more or less exsust on around the turbo.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep... The truck was off.

I just found the meaning of VGT in the bible link - Variable Geometry Turbocharger. Whatever that really means... I'm still reading...

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... This problem continues. Had it in 2 more times & the dealer is still grasping at straws. They changed the EBP sensor last week, kept it for another day to test, said it was OK, but it starting bucking / surging / jumping almost as soon as I got off their lot. -mad

It's at the dealer today and they're scratching their heads again. What should they be doing next? REPLACE THE WHOLE TURBO?? REPLACE THE ENGINE??? :confused: I'm really disappointed in this truck so far. :(

Somone please tell me this can be corrected without me having to take it in every month so they can give me a roller skate to drive while they stare clueless at my truck as it bucks & romps in their shop!!! I am so frustrated!
-mad -mad -mad -mad -mad -mad -mad -mad -mad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14