possessed gauges and flashing OD light?

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
Truck acted up on me a little bit today coming back from lunch. When I fired it up it was fine, 20 seconds later the OD light is blinking. Drove it for a couple hundred yards and the tranny felt like it was slipping a little bit. Then the light goes off and the tranny is just fine. Drove 4-5 miles no issues. Came to a stoplight and the speedo is all over the place, oil pressure light comes on, fuel gauge is spazzing out, OD light is blinking again. Tranny felt like it was slipping a little bit at first, but then was fine. Get back into the lot and as soon as I took it out of gear the RPM's jumped up over 1k and then slowed back down. Gauges still freaking out. I shut the truck down and then restarted it to see if it would continue but couldn't duplicate it. I didn't have time to drive it around a little more to see if everything would go haywire again, but the whole thing just struck me as off and I'm thinking more of an electrical issue somewhere than an actual mechanical issue.

Truck is stock. Installed ISSPRO gauges a couple weeks ago, towed to Moab and back from Denver 2 weeks ago with NO issues. This happened all out of the blue.

ANY ideas?

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
It's the stock dash gauges that are freaking out too, my ISSPRO's stayed perfectly steady and read consistent info the whole time.

JRJ04

Reaction score
definately sounds electrical related, but i have heard that if your od light is flashing it means your tranny is malfunctioning. good luck with getting it all figured out! maybe try disconnecting both batteries and resetting everything?:confused:

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
So last night it did all this mess again when I wanted to go start the truck after picking up some new tires for the Jeep.

Truck wouldn't even start, couldn't even get the WTS light to come on. There was a relay clicking like mad in the fuse panel, it was the flasher relay, pulled it out, and it started right up just fine. Put it back in and drove home without a problem.

WTF!!

As much as I'd like that to be the actual problem, I don't see how a flasher relay can make the whole truck go haywire like that.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
So this morning when I left for work the pryo gauge pegged out at 1500* as soon as I started the truck, then backed down to normal within a few seconds. No other issues this morning.

Only thing I can think of is something in the wiring under the dash is freaking out.

BigDaveZJ

uber noob
Reaction score
DieselManor - ISSPRO Gauges

That's the pyro I've got. Drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold per Diesel Manor's instructions.

The truck hasn't acted up at all over the last couple days though, furthering my electrical theory. I'm guessing there's a goofy ground somewhere, or one of the terminals on the pyro amplifier was making contact with another wire or something.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Weak batteries can create all kinds of weird electrical problems like you are describing.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14